Macro Express Forums

Saving and restoring windows

I've been looking for a program (ideally freeware) that will save & restore the current windows layout. For any project, having set things up nicely with several programs and maybe a dozen folders in an optimum view, I'd like to be able to quickly return to that at any time. IOW, a simple click to save, click to restore approach. I'd have thought it a pretty popular requirement. Many users must like me have a bunch of stuff open at any time, and spend a lot of time getting it arranged just so. I reckon I waste a significant portion of my time merely dragging windows around, resizing them, etc, then later after they get changed, covered up, minimised, or closed finding them to do it all over again. I'm still looking, but so far without success.

So I'm thinking of possibly tackling it myself with ME Pro. I reckon it will essentially be a matter of identifying and storing the location and size of every currently open folder and program, saving that collective data to a name of choice, then, on request, restoring the saved layout, i.e. re-opening, resizing and re-positioning. But before I square up to that, has anyone done it already please? ;)

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I've been looking for a program (ideally freeware) that will save & restore the current windows layout. [....]

LOL. You'll kick yourself when you see how easy this was... Just did a general Google search for "freeware save window positions."

One of the promising hits was this:

http://www.vicman.net/getfree/Resetter_12523s.html

I've never used software from vicman before, so you should right click the application and do "scan" before installing it. Might want to do a system backup too. Alternately you could go to download.com (a known reputable site) and search there.

I should note that I'm a freeware nut... I've seen lots of different versions of icon/window position savers, so I knew I could google for it... :) -steve

LOL. You'll kick yourself when you see how easy this was... Just did a general Google search for "freeware save window positions."

One of the promising hits was this:

http://www.vicman.net/getfree/Resetter_12523s.html

I've never used software from vicman before, so you should right click the application and do "scan" before installing it. Might want to do a system backup too. Alternately you could go to download.com (a known reputable site) and search there.

I should note that I'm a freeware nut... I've seen lots of different versions of icon/window position savers, so I knew I could google for it... :) -steve

Thanks Steve but I'd already found at least a dozen like that. They save and restore desktop icons, not windows.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

• 6 years later...

Just found this thread Terry, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Did you make any progress on the project?

Wow, six years has to be some sort of record!

I do recall putting a lot of time into it and trying several programs. But eventually I settled for macros (with names like 'Prepare work for XYZ') which opened files, folders and applications in specific, neat positions. Another macro made light of putting them all away again.

So, the original idea of CAPTURING the current layout and reproducing it reliably at will defeated me in the end.

• 5 years later...

And after another six years I'm looking again!

This time it's prompted by a recently arisen frustrating problem. My DELL U2415 24" monitor loses all window positions and sizes if I power it off with its button. When I switch on the desktop is normal (and taskbar, icons, etc),  but the windows are all arranged in in some 'standard'-looking layout that would probably fit a smaller screen than my 1920 x 1200. So I have to tediously restore them. PITA.