To read data from a location to a variable

I use

Clipboard Copy

Variable Set String %T1% From Clipboard

Is any direct way like

Copy Variable directly from the location

without going through the CB ?

yiannis

The way I understand Macro Express to work, is that it mostly just uses built-in windows functions to perform a lot of the work a person would normally do manually. So in order to copy from a location, ME has to use the Windows clipboard function.

Now with that said, it might be handy to be able to have an all-in-one macro command that uses the Clipboard-copy function and add it directly to a variable all in one stop. I don't think that's currently possible, but you might want to submit a feature request to ISS. It sounds useful.

Assuming, of course, that it's not already available (if it is, I'm sure we'll hear from somebody else soon enough).

I requested this as a feature several years ago, but so far, it has not been implemented. But hope springs eternal!

When I need to use the clipboard to copy information to a variable, I usually try to preserve the clipboard, and then restore the original clipboard after the variable is assigned. It only works when the clipboard contains text (not graphics) and all formatting is lost. Preserving and restoring the original clipboard also increases the runtime of the macro, but that's the trade-off. It is better than nothing!

How would that work Alan? I mean how could it possibly know what you wanted to grab and how would it magically push it to MEP without something like the clipboard?

Personally I use controls whenever possible to grab text. Of course I realize that's not always possible but you would be surprised how many times you can grab text that way.

How would that work Alan? I mean how could it possibly know what you wanted to grab and how would it magically push it to MEP without something like the clipboard?

Personally I use controls whenever possible to grab text. Of course I realize that's not always possible but you would be surprised how many times you can grab text that way.

I am having a similar problem in Pro that i did not have in 3. I cannot paste a variable anymore with the text type %t[10]% it does not work or is very inconsistent. even with 5 second delays between the text type commands. I am trying to paste into an entry box on an order form on the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.