Macro Express Forums

Macros will not run

I am using Dragon to send keys to the system that will kick off macro express.

Specifically, if I say mouse small, (in DragonNaturallSpeaking), the macro sends two key strokes. They are CTRl M.

I have a macro express macro that when it hears those two keys (ctrl m) the macro will start and that will force the curser to go to the 3rd screen.

Two other Dragon macros send other key combinations to make the cursor go to the other two terminals.

And yet even though I say that commands in Dragonnaturally speaking, the macro express commands do not start.

I have made a macro express commands application-specific, global or whatever with no success.

How can I cause the macro express command to execute when the Dragon naturally express command sends keys which are hot keys for the macro express program to start the corresponding macros?

As always, thank you,

Bob

During my experimenting a few years ago with Dragon Naturally Speaking I discovered that Dragon was not sending hotkeys type sequences to windows thus preventing macro activation. The first step to determine what is going wrong would be to check to see if the macro is actually being activated.

1. Create a macro that does something simple. Perhaps it should only play a sound file or display a Text Box.
  2. Assign your hotkey to it.
  3. Press the hotkey combination to make sure that you can activate it manually.
  4. Add the activation to Dragon Naturally Speaking and try it.

If it works when you manually press the hotkey activation and it does not work when you try it from Dragon Naturally Speaking then the issue is with Dragon.

If I recall correctly, when researching this I found that there are several (three?) versions of Dragon Naturally Speaking. The more expensive versions allowed hotkeys to activate macros in a macro program. The other versions did not.

I believe Joe did some experimenting after I did and managed to find a work around. He got Dragon Naturally Speaking to write to a file or a registry entry and created a macro to watch for that and perform specific functions.

After my discouraging results, I set the project aside and never got back to it. We would love to hear how this turns out.

During my experimenting a few years ago with Dragon Naturally Speaking I discovered that Dragon was not sending hotkeys type sequences to windows thus preventing macro activation. The first step to determine what is going wrong would be to check to see if the macro is actually being activated.

1. Create a macro that does something simple. Perhaps it should only play a sound file or display a Text Box.
  2. Assign your hotkey to it.
  3. Press the hotkey combination to make sure that you can activate it manually.
  4. Add the activation to Dragon Naturally Speaking and try it.

If it works when you manually press the hotkey activation and it does not work when you try it from Dragon Naturally Speaking then the issue is with Dragon.

If I recall correctly, when researching this I found that there are several (three?) versions of Dragon Naturally Speaking. The more expensive versions allowed hotkeys to activate macros in a macro program. The other versions did not.

I believe Joe did some experimenting after I did and managed to find a work around. He got Dragon Naturally Speaking to write to a file or a registry entry and created a macro to watch for that and perform specific functions.

After my discouraging results, I set the project aside and never got back to it. We would love to hear how this turns out.

Hi Kevin,

Actually, I have done this process.

I created the macro in dragon and MEP.

I manually ran the macro from MEP. It worked as expected (moves curser from one screen to another).

Ran the Dragon macro to kick off MEP. It did not kick it off. So, as you suggested, I thought the problem was with Dragon also.

I went back to the drawing board in Dragon and finally, I did get it to work.

Here is the Dragon scripting code I used for this simple macro:

The 3 spoken Dragon commands are

mouse goto tablet (this will send Ctrl o)

mouse goto tv (this will send Ctrl n)

mouse goto small (this will send Ctrl m)

The 3 MEP macros are hot keys (you guessed it) Ctrl o, Ctrl n, and Ctrl m.

Andway, the Dragon command to send the Ctrl keys is:

Sub Main

If ListVAR1 = "small" Then

SendDragonKeys "{Ctrl+m}"

End If

If ListVAR1 = "tv" Then

SendDragonKeys "{Ctrl+n}"

End If

If ListVAR1 = "tablet" Then

SendDragonKeys "{Ctrl+o}"

End If

End Sub