Macro Express Forums

Rfc: Assign Macro To Toolbar Button

duebel13

Today, a growing number of programs allow the user do manage toolbars (i.e. hide/unhide, add/delete, change buttons etc.). For example, there are numerous tools available that let you easily create toolbars for IE.

As I am getting more and more forgettable about hotkeys I would appreciate if I could add a self defined button to a either an existing or new toolbar of a certain program and associate the button click with the execution of a macro.

The button should be specific (aka local) to a certain program. I could easily create a global toolbar myself and assign macros to it.

I have not studied the possibilities of doing what you are asking. There may be a way to place Macro Express macros within the toolbars of other applications and I am just not aware of it.

You can, however, create your own macro toolbar using the icons only feature of the floating menu type macro. You can create a series of them that are targeted to only certain programs like Word, Excel, and so forth. The macros placed in a particular toolbar would of course be scoped to particular program. And you should be able to create a "controller" macro that enables and disables a particular toolbar when a program gains or loses focus.

Hi,

I have not organised my macros adequately by context to even attempt floating toolbars yet! - Sounds like a better idea!

I have done this for Office programs;

Here is a macro for Word03; (and 2 subs; one just checks that the correct Macro Library is loaded, one a pause 2 secs)). I have added them manually to the toolbar, (I have not automated adding them though it may be possible).

Sub MEchecker()

'

' RunME1 Macro

' Macro created 3/23/2005 by Randall Clapp

'

Dim MacEx3, strMacExpLoaded, strMacExp

strMacExpLoaded = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Insight Software Solutions" _

& "\Macro Express\Miscellaneous\"

strMacExp = LCase(System.PrivateProfileString(FileName:="", _

Section:=strMacExpLoaded, Key:="Current File"))

MacEx3 = "c:\program files\macro express3\"

If strMacExp <> MacEx3 + "formmaker14.mex" Then

Shell (MacEx3 + "MacExp.exe" + " /F" + MacEx3 + "FormMaker14.mex")

MEpauser2

strMacExp = LCase(System.PrivateProfileString(FileName:="", _

Section:=strMacExpLoaded, Key:="Current File"))

MsgBox ("Not Loaded FormMaker14.mex" + strMacExp)

GoTo ender3

Else

'MsgBox ("Loaded FormMaker14.mex")

End If

GoTo ender4

ender3:

'MsgBox ("Error; ? Wrong macro Library loaded?" + ";" + strMacExp)

ender4:

'MsgBox ("End of Sub2")

End Sub

Sub MEpauser2()

'

'

PauseTime = 2

Start = Timer    ' Set start time.

Do While Timer < Start + PauseTime

DoEvents    ' Yield to other processes.

Loop

End Sub

Sub DestinationDirectory()

'

' DestinationDirectory Macro

'

Dim MacEx3, strSection, strPicker, strDestination

MacEx3 = "c:\program files\macro express3\"

MEchecker

On Error Resume Next

Shell (MacEx3 + "MEPROC.EXE /ADestinationXcopyGUI")

End Sub

You would just add the 3rd quoted macro to the toolbar, the first 2 subs just to the macrolist (the first checks the registry key for currently running library name) by "create" etc(my subs are called by a number of macros). (Obviously use your own library file and macro names as appropriate)

Randall

And you should be able to create a "controller" macro that enables and disables a particular toolbar when a program gains or loses focus.

This controller macro proposal sounds like an acceptable workaround.

Of course I would prefer to work with a single window. But if it is possible to have the global toolbar always on top without stealing the focus from the application window that would be sufficient.

Thanks.