Macro Express Forums

Changing cursor's direction

This functionality is not built into Macro Express, but it would not be too difficult to script a macro that changes the mouse cursor, either via the Mouse applet in the Control Panel, or via third-party mouse cursor software, such as Biggy.

Normally when I need to change cursor's direction from ltr to rtl all I'm doing is press alt+shift and it's done!

My problem is this: I type a lot of text in a certain program's window. I write in Hebrew (which is written from right to left) so I need a rtl cursor. At the beginning I change the cursor's direction to rtl by pressing alt+shift.

However, every time I press Enter (which I do a lot) what happens is this: The cursor goes to the next line (which is good) and it's direction changes to ltr (which is bad...)

This situation forces me to press shift+alt after every time I press Enter!

I'm looking for a way to force MEP to do this job for me :rolleyes:

Thanks for your answer.

Oded.

This problem may not lend itself to a macro solution. The change in mouse cursor may be the result of a Windows setting.

The ability to change the mouse cursor direction with a key press is not built into the English language version of Windows. At least, I don't think so! It might be unique for Hebrew, all semitic languages, or all languages that are written right-to-left.

Try hunting around in the Control Panel for the applet that controls the behaviour. My guess is that it will be buried deep in the "Region and Language" applet. (Emphasis: I am guessing!) If you change the hotkey to something else -- say, F10 or F12 -- the problem may go away on its own.

Of course my Windows version is a Hebrew one.

The problem with this specific program is that it does not support right to left languages.

Many other programs I use do support rtl languages and work flawlessly for me.

I want to create a macro which would be activated only when this specific program runs and would "know" when Enter was pressed. So after Enter was pressed the macro will text-type alt+shift and change the cursor's direction to what I need.

You might be able to do this with an application-specific hotkey macro with "Enter" as the trigger.

Something like this:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ENTER>

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ALT><SHIFT>

or substitute this for the second line:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ALTD><SHIFTD><SHIFTU><ALTU>

How can I know what was the last key pressed?

It it was "Enter" the macro should do some unique actions

I don't know of an *elegant* way to determine the last key pressed when using Macro Express. I can imagine some inelegant approaches, but I doubt they would be practical. Macro Express is extremely versatile, but intercepting keystrokes is not one of its strengths!

I don't know of an *elegant* way to determine the last key pressed when using Macro Express. I can imagine some inelegant approaches, but I doubt they would be practical. Macro Express is extremely versatile, but intercepting keystrokes is not one of its strengths!

Yes, I think the PRO version should include a feature lke that...

Anyways, I've created a very simple macro which solved my problem :D

Thank you Alan for all your help and kindness.

Much appreciated!

Oded.