Macro Express Forums

Getting "To" line of an email message using Get Control

I am attempting to get the value of the "To" line in an email message that's in my inbox. So I open the message and use Get Control to retrieve the text from the control. But the text keeps coming up blank. I can use Get Control to retrieve the "From" line (screenshot001), and the subject (screenshot002), but attempts to get text from the "To" or "cc" lines returns a blank string (screenshot003; actually I think single space). This worked perfectly for so long, but I haven't use the macro for a while and so can't know if an upgrade to MEP caused the change in behavior or something else. Can someone duplicate the behavior? Any ideas on what's wrong? Or even an alternate way to obtain the name/email of a recipient frmo an existing message in the inbox? Thanks. Jace

post-57-0-39504000-1306386771_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-96053500-1306386771_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-32759200-1306386773_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-02262200-1306386774_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-91194800-1306386774_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-56531600-1306386775_thumb.jpg

Confirmed. I am using OL 2010 and the from control highlights fine but I can’t get the contents into a var. I can’t get To either. Only the subject works. Odd. Might want to contact ISS support on this one. Have no idea why that’s not working.

You could get this and many more values from the Internet Headers from the message properties. Alt>F>I>V in OL 2010. Just need to parse it out which isn’t difficult.

Confirmed. I am using OL 2010 and the from control highlights fine but I can't get the contents into a var. I can't get To either. Only the subject works. Odd. Might want to contact ISS support on this one. Have no idea why that's not working.

You could get this and many more values from the Internet Headers from the message properties. Alt>F>I>V in OL 2010. Just need to parse it out which isn't difficult.

Oh, my problem isn't even quite that bad. I'm using OL 2007. I can highlight all the controls and capture the z-order w/ Get Control. My problem is just that it doesn't actually get the recipient off the "To" line. I can get "From" and "Subject" though. Will submit a report to ISS.

As always, thanks for the quick reply, and for the SMTP headers tip, Cory. Had not thought of that workaround.

One problem you should be aware of is windows with identical titles and control handle confusion. Having multiple Message windows causes the handles to be randomly generated and the Get Control can look at the wrong window and remember the wrong handle. If you look back I had a big message thread on this some time ago. This might explain what you're seeing. Mention this to ISS when you start your support incident.

Already submitted the incident, but I referred them to this thread. As an aside, I only had one message window open and confirmed in the debugger that the path to the control I was referencing was the same as the path to the control I was capturing. Couldn't get it to work i the debugger either. That's when I concluded I wasn't imagining things.

• 1 month later...