Macro Express Forums

launch a program as adminitrator

There is no facility that I know of in MEP to do this. You would have to find a way to do it externally then use the program launch or External Script to execute it. But if you get the UAC warning I don't think MEP can click "OK" for you. The whole point of all that is to prevent viruses from taking over your machine that way and required user input.

There is no facility that I know of in MEP to do this. You would have to find a way to do it externally then use the program launch or External Script to execute it. But if you get the UAC warning I don't think MEP can click "OK" for you. The whole point of all that is to prevent viruses from taking over your machine that way and required user input.

Thanks, that's not so good, but an answer. I will look for an solution outside MEP.

Best regards from Vienna,

Alexander

Hi ALexanderP!

You didn't specify which OS you were running (XP? Win 7? etc.).

Also, what would prevent you from having your macro "right click" on the application, select "Run As", check the "Other User" box, specify "Administrator" as the user, enter the admin password from your macro (as encrypted text, of course!) and keep on trucking?

Maybe I don't understand the question... but I have yet to encounter a problem that I (eventually!) could resolve using MEP. My philosophy is: "If you can do it with mouse & keyboard, you can do it with MEP!".

Hi ALexanderP!

You didn't specify which OS you were running (XP? Win 7? etc.).

Also, what would prevent you from having your macro "right click" on the application, select "Run As", check the "Other User" box, specify "Administrator" as the user, enter the admin password from your macro (as encrypted text, of course!) and keep on trucking?

Maybe I don't understand the question... but I have yet to encounter a problem that I (eventually!) could resolve using MEP. My philosophy is: "If you can do it with mouse & keyboard, you can do it with MEP!".

I can envision that Win 7 may be a little more thorny with UAC pop-ups, but even that should be addressable.

• 2 months later...

Hi you could try Windows's built-in Runas program. It's been around since XP days, I believe. It lets you run any program under a different user account, including as Admin. More info and examples at http://ss64.com/nt/runas.html

You can run it using "Activate or Launch". You should not need to specify its exact location, since it resides in \System32, which is in the default Windows path. Anyway, on my system (Win 7), the path is:

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe

Hi,

I would like to start a program as administrator. I use the "Activate or Launch" command, but I can't find a option to "start program as administrator". I'm wrong? Do I have to use another function?

Thanks & Best regards from Vienna,

Alexander

• 4 months later...

This seems to work for me. Instead of listing the .exe as the program to execute, list the .lnk link. And before you do, edit the properties of the link under the compatibility tab to "Run as administrator". Until I did that, my macros that used to call up the .exe itself reported "couldn't find the path or file".