Macro Express Forums

Help converting Decimal variables to Date Variables

I'm working on a script that calculates future times.

When the macro first runs, it notes the current time:

Date/Time: Set %CurrentDateTimeDate% to the current date/time

<DATE/TIME Flags="\xB0" Date="31-Mar-2024 3:48:26 p.m." Day_Offset="0" Month_Offset="0" Year_Offset="0" Hour_Offset="0" Minute_Offset="0" Second_Offset="0" Left="Center" Top="Center" Monitor="0" Variable="%CurrentDateTimeDate%" IsDateVar="TRUE"/>

Each time the macro runs, I want the script to advance the clock 65 minutes from the previous run time.

I think the way to do this in Macro Express is to convert a Date variable into a Decimal variable, add a "fudge factor" to the Decimal variable, and then convert the Decimal variable back to a Date variable:

Convert Date/Time to Decimal: %CurrentDateTimeDate% => %CurrentDateTimeDec%
Variable Modify Decimal: %CurrentDateTimePlusDec% = %CurrentDateTimeDec% + .044
Convert Decimal to Date/Time: %CurrentDateTimePlusDec% => %CurrentDateTimePlusDate%
Text Box Display: 

<CONVERT DATE/TIME TO DECIMAL Source="%CurrentDateTimeDate%" Dest="%CurrentDateTimeDec%"/>
<VARIABLE MODIFY DECIMAL Option="\x00" Destination="%CurrentDateTimePlusDec%" Value1="%CurrentDateTimeDec%" Value2=".044"/>
<CONVERT DECIMAL TO DATE/TIME Source="%CurrentDateTimePlusDec%" Dest="%CurrentDateTimePlusDate%"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang1033{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs20 %CurrentDateTimeDate%\r\n\\par %CurrentDateTimePlusDate%\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="TRUE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>

Through trial-and-error experimentation, I've found that adding 0.044 to the Date variable adds about 65 minutes.

I could do more trials to get closer to 65 minutes. But I'm hoping someone will know how to calculate the exact decimal amount.

This would be easy if I want to add 65 minutes to the current time, rather than to the last run time. This does it nicely... but it's not what I need!

Date/Time: Set %NextDateTimeDate% to an adjusted date/time

<DATE/TIME Flags="\xB2" Date="31-Mar-2024 3:50:24 p.m." Day_Offset="0" Month_Offset="0" Year_Offset="0" Hour_Offset="0" Minute_Offset="65" Second_Offset="0" Left="Center" Top="Center" Monitor="0" Variable="%NextDateTimeDate%" IsDateVar="TRUE"/>

Create a decimal and make ir's value by dividing 65 by 1440.

However I think it better to add 65 minutes with the Date/Time command, Date/Time tab, Adjust the current date/time option, and add 65 minutes.

I wish I could add 65 minutes, but I think I can only add it to the current time, not a time I specify via a variable.

Thanks for the answer! I see that 65 is the number of minutes, but where does "1440" come from?

I would use Variable Modify Date/Time, Options tab, Add option, Integer or Value, enter 65, then select minutes. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Cory, for that suggestion. I got it to work.

My 90-line spaghetti-like script (which converted Date variables to and from Decimal variables and failed in puzzling ways), is now a super-reliable 40-line script which doesn't use Decimal variables.