Macro Express Forums

Read/write Registry On Remote Workstation

jowensii

I've tried getting ME to Read/Write registry items of remote workstations on a network. I've had success with these commands on the local workstation. It's not a rights issue as I am an administrator on all the network workstations.

Local RegRead:

<REGRSTR:1:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\>

I've edited the above command, adding \\workstation_name just before the key

Remote RegRead:

<REGRSTR:1:\\workstation_name\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\>

Maybe ME can't do this or my syntax isn't correct. Is this worthy of submitting a featrue request?

Thanks.

I'm not sure but I don't think you can access registry of remote workstations on a network, neither with ME nor manually ?! :blink:

you could send information to your remote workstation (in a file for instance, with a given name) and have Macro Express on this workstation waiting for this file, reading it when available and writting in its own registry ?

I'm not sure but I don't think you can access registry of remote workstations on a network, neither with ME nor manually ?!

Hi Nicolas,

Yes it's possible. I do it manually using RegEdit or regedt32 and under Registry menu item you can select "Connect Network Registry" I even use a program called 'Multi-Remote Registry Change" that is very powerful but somewhat tedious to setup for quick registry jobs for multiple network machines. ME would be great for quick batch registry edits and reads.

Thanks.

Although it is true that one can access remote Registries on the network through RegEdit, the Read and Write Registry commands in Macro Express cannot. That being said, you can control RegEdit in a manner identical with any other program using standard Macro Express commands as jowensii suggests.

That being said, you can control RegEdit in a manner identical with any other program using standard Macro Express commands as jowensii suggests.

You are right, I have done that but with over 400 machines this is very slow and the timing issue of the connections and windows made this a very bulky, time consuming process. It was my hope that ME could accomplish without using any external apps. Just wasn't meant to be. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

ME is GREAT for large scale network automation, as I found while working at Novell in their 2000+ computer "SuperLab" as an intern 6 years ago.

We used ME for real-life network stress testing. Each row of computers would be doing random sets of tasks using everything from browsing, email and database access. It was like have 2000 employees all working on different things on the network at once. Kind of eerie, actually - seeing all those computers humming away at things we consider purely *human*.

That being said, you can control RegEdit in a manner identical with any other program using standard Macro Express commands as jowensii suggests.

You are right, I have done that but with over 400 machines this is very slow and the timing issue of the connections and windows made this a very bulky, time consuming process. It was my hope that ME could accomplish without using any external apps. Just wasn't meant to be. Thanks.

Why not use ME in conjunction with this free and powerful utility?

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml

Why not use ME in conjunction with this free and powerful utility?

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml

www.sysinternals.com has some great utilities and I've seen PSExec utility at some previous time. I certainly could use it and accomplish some of the same things I do with the other Registry software I use. It certainly has some potential with some other projects that I have. Thanks.