Macro Express Forums

Managing Logins And Passwords For Multiple Users

Markter

I have created a macro the collects data from our billing system and then pulls up customer websites and enters my logins and passwords and then enters the data into fields in the websites. It works great and now i want others in the billing office to be able to use this macro. Is there an easy way to manage multiple password for multiple users? I don't really want the users to have to enter or even confirm their logins and passwords every time the macro runs, but i want them to control any password changes.

Thanks!

In my offices, when a macro is going to be distributed that contains passwords, I use the Encrypted Text Command and select "Place In Variable". Then, further into the Macro, when you need to enter the password into the web site, enter the variable. I always put the encrypted text command at the top of the script, preceded by a remark telling the user to change the password on the next line. That way, with short and simple instructions, the macro can be distributed, and each person can change the password to match his/her own. See example below:

// Change Your Password On Next Line
Encrypted Text
Text Type: username<TAB>%T1%<ENTER>

Another technique that I have used is to store personalized information in the registry. I have a macro that reads values from the registry. If the values do not exist, a macro is launched to collect the information. This way, the first time, and only the first time, they run the macro, it asks them for personalized information (name, login name, password, etc.).

You could also add an option to run the macro that collects the personalized information at any time. This would allow the user to change their information as needed.

The one weakness to this technique is that the password stored in the registry is not encrypted.

You could, however, combine this technique with the one described by Icebox. The password could be set using the 'Encrypted Text' command at the top of the macro. The macro could determine if the password has been changed and prompt the user to change it. Other non-sensitive information could be stored in the registry.

Another thing you might want to try is to use the Windows log-in name. This can be read using the Variable Set from Miscellaneous command.

Thank you for your input. I will play around with this some more to see what works best. I am sure I can make it work the way I need it.

Also, I just wanted to comment what a great resources this discussion forum is. I am new to ME and find this forum a great place to find info and I greatly appreciate the time taken by more advanced users to respond to questions.

Thank You,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

How I have done it in the past is by using dummy letters in numbers in the password. IE when it writes to the registry it strips the first characters, and 2 of the last characters. After that contains the password. By doing this method it would be very hard if not impossible to decipher what the real password is.

IE: akje8392

stips ak and 92. the remainder is the serial number.