Macro Express Forums

System macro hotkeys conflict with non-English languages

tranglos

I have just installed Macro Express 3 (the trial version). Immediately I had to disable some of the system macro hotkeys, because they conflict with "extended" (diacritic) characters on a Polish keyboard. Combinations such as Ctrl+Alt+Shift+X and Ctrl+Slt+Shift+Z are used to type frequently occurring characters (uppercase Ź and Ż, respectively). I imagine speakers of many other languages apart from English would have the same problem.

I then noticed that these hotkeys cannot be disabled, only changed. The hotkey edit control does not seem to recognize any key (typically Backspace in Windows applications) as "None" input. Would the authors please consider adding a proper "None" option, for no hotkey defined?

Does this also mean that every macro needs to have a hotkey assigned? I intended to use the program for "autotext" functionality, and since I would be defining many dozens of entries, it would be nearly impossible - certainly impractical - to assign a different hotkey to each, and then to remember them all.

Further, in the hotkey selection dialog box, the list of hotkey combinations shows a number of hotkeys as "available", even though they are already registered by various currently running programs. For example, I have an application using Shift+Ctrl+F12 as a system (global) hotkey, but MEx3 lists this combination as available. As far as I know Windows does not offer a way to detect hotkeys registered by other applications (except perhaps by trying to register every possible hotkey and checking for errors from ones already assigned), but then perhaps the "available" label could be changed, because it seems misleading. I understand it is really intended to mean "Not assigned in Macro Express", which is not the same as available in the system.

Thank you kindly,

marek

I then noticed that these hotkeys cannot be disabled, only changed.

I'm fairly certain this is by design. The system macros cannot be changed, disabled or deleted, so it makes sense that their HotKeys cannot be removed.

Does this also mean that every macro needs to have a hotkey assigned?

No. Absolutely not. Macros that you create are not required to have a HotKey.

I understand it is really intended to mean "Not assigned in Macro Express"

I've no dog in this hunt, Insight can change it if they want, but it seems that since you understood what was meant by "available", it makes no sense to change what it says.

I then noticed that these hotkeys cannot be disabled, only changed. ... Would the authors please consider adding a proper "None" option, for no hotkey defined?

As Joe said, this is by design. System Macros cannot be deleted and must have a HotKey assigned to them. You can, as you pointed out, change the HotKey. Non-System macros do not require a HotKey.

It would be possible for us to make a change to detect if the Polish language was being used and automatically default different HotKeys to the System Macros. Make that request here: www.macros.com/requestfeature.htm. In your request please include HotKeys that you would suggest we use.

... perhaps the "available" label could be changed ... to "Not assigned in Macro Express".

This is an interesting suggestion. We will consider it.

Again, I would request that you enter this suggestion in our Request A Feature page. If you enter the request , and if you include your email address, the issue will be assigned to you and you will receive information when the status of the request changes.