Macro Express Forums

time out aborts macro

punisa

Hey guys, this is from my error log:

The command 'FTP Get File' timed out.

18.9.2008 23:53:46 Macro "xxxxxxxx" Aborted

I've instructed macro to download larger file from FTP (around 30 MB), half way through the download process I manualy disconnected internet. After a minute or so it gave me the above error and it just aborted.

How can I avoid the termination?

This is a huge problem for me, as my internet connection sometimes "hangs" up to 10 minutes. I want my macro to give up on downloading and try again later, but if it aborts, how can I proceed?

Ok, I really need help this time :rolleyes:

I have never used the FTP features of ME, so I'm shooting from the hip here. There's a "FTP Site Command" command in ME, which allows you to send a freeform command to the remote site. Can you send one of the FTP timeout commands to lengthen the allowable "dead" time? Of course, if it is the MacroExpress end that is timing out, that might not help....

You can also do FTP from a DOS-style command window, with a file of FTP commands, instead of using MacroExpress. This might give you access to some of the FTP timeout options that are not available in the limited ME command set.

ok, you can extend the FTP time out duration with a tweakme3 advanced options, but further experimentation revealed that the auto resume option for downloading files is not supported. Guys what do you do if your connection breaks and you're not around?

Or should I presume that this is impossible. Because Macro is locked down during download phase.

I have never used the FTP features of ME, so I'm shooting from the hip here. There's a "FTP Site Command" command in ME, which allows you to send a freeform command to the remote site. Can you send one of the FTP timeout commands to lengthen the allowable "dead" time? Of course, if it is the MacroExpress end that is timing out, that might not help....

You can also do FTP from a DOS-style command window, with a file of FTP commands, instead of using MacroExpress. This might give you access to some of the FTP timeout options that are not available in the limited ME command set.

Sorry for bugging you rberq, thanks for your reply.

I figure you know more about FTP protocol then me ;)

Can a file that starts downloading be resumed as with firefox for example? Or is this not possible when downloading from FTP?

I successfully extended time out duration from 30 seconds up to 60 minutes, but it seems this is useless. Cause when I connect internet back the downloading does not resume (I checked several times).

Can a file that starts downloading be resumed as with firefox for example? Or is this not possible when downloading from FTP?

I seem to recall reading on a feature list of a full-featured FTP program that it supports restarting an FTP download. But, the simple FTP routines built into Macro Express do not have this feature. You might check WS-FTP Pro. There may be other free programs out there with that feature.

I seem to recall reading on a feature list of a full-featured FTP program that it supports restarting an FTP download. But, the simple FTP routines built into Macro Express do not have this feature. You might check WS-FTP Pro. There may be other free programs out there with that feature.

Thanx Kevin, I'll check it out. I tried Filezilla and CuteFTP so far, unfortunately they do not support resume. Can this perhaps be the problem of my FTP server side?

I use WS_FTP all the time and it does support resume, has for ages. Most 'real' FTP software does and I certain Cute does as well. However it's not just the client, the FTP server needs to support resume as well. For instance older versions of IIS don't support resume. In fact it's really more a server side issue. As long as the client supports the REST w/ OFFSET command I think it should work. But I've never messed with it manually as I simply rely on WS_FTP.