Macro Express Forums

Another percentage symbol bug?

This macro asks the user to enter a string, displays it with a Text Display, and then types it into Notepad.

Variable Set String TestString: Prompt

Text Box Display:

Activate or Launch: Window "Notepad", Program "NOTEPAD.EXE", Parameters ""

Wait for Window Title: Notepad

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): %TestString%

<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x01" Destination="TestString" Prompt="Enter the string for testing" Mask="FALSE" OnTop="FALSE" Left="Center" Top="Center" Monitor="0"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 TestString\\f1  = \\f0 %TestString%\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>
<ACTIVATE OR LAUNCH Title="Notepad" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" Path="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE" Mode="\x00" Default_Path="TRUE" Wait="1" Wait_For_Program="12"/>
<WAIT FOR WINDOW TITLE Title="Notepad" Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" Indefinite="TRUE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="0"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="%TestString%"/>

If the string contains anything that looks like a variable, such as %A% then the Text Display works fine but the Text Type is completely ignored. Nothing gets typed and the macro proceeds.

A bug? Probably the general issue about percentage sign handling we've discussed ages ago, but which I've never seen any conclusion? And perhaps even related to the one I described earlier today in the thread 'Removing % causes hard crash' that crashed MEP.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

This macro asks the user to enter a string, displays it with a Text Display, and then types it into Notepad.

Variable Set String TestString: Prompt

Text Box Display:

Activate or Launch: Window "Notepad", Program "NOTEPAD.EXE", Parameters ""

Wait for Window Title: Notepad

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): %TestString%

<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x01" Destination="TestString" Prompt="Enter the string for testing" Mask="FALSE" OnTop="FALSE" Left="Center" Top="Center" Monitor="0"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 TestString\\f1  = \\f0 %TestString%\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>
<ACTIVATE OR LAUNCH Title="Notepad" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" Path="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE" Mode="\x00" Default_Path="TRUE" Wait="1" Wait_For_Program="12"/>
<WAIT FOR WINDOW TITLE Title="Notepad" Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" Indefinite="TRUE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="0"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="%TestString%"/>

If the string contains anything that looks like a variable, such as %A% then the Text Display works fine but the Text Type is completely ignored. Nothing gets typed and the macro proceeds.

A bug? Probably the general issue about percentage sign handling we've discussed ages ago, but which I've never seen any conclusion? And perhaps even related to the one I described earlier today in the thread 'Removing % causes hard crash' that crashed MEP.

--

Just 2 more cents: I occasionally use Modify String commands where I connect multiple variables together to create

a [booming voice]mega-variable[/booming voice]. Example:'

Imagine the following is part of a... mad-lib macro (or something):

%T[1]%= "This is my "

%T[2]%= "dog, "

%T[3]%= "Argos. He's "

%T[4]%= "an Australian Labradoodle."

To build a mega-variable, I do a Modify String:

%Modified% = %T[1]%%T[2]%%T[3]%%T[4]%

Sometimes this works. Sometimes MEP fails to notice the opening % and prompts me to create a variable named

something like: T[1]%%T[2]

I've only seen it a few times, and it goes away if I separate the %% with a comma or a space, but definitely something

strange going on with %s

I copied your code and it works perfectly for me when I manually enter something that looks like a variable. Tried several combinations of two percent signs with no problem. Are you using version 4.1?

I copied your code and it works perfectly for me when I manually enter something that looks like a variable. Tried several combinations of two percent signs with no problem. Are you using version 4.1?

Thanks Cory. That prompted me to repeat the test. Wouldn't you just know it - it was OK this time! I just hate intermittent problems like this... :blink: Some temporary conflict? So I'm left wondering when it will happen again, and of course if it does it's unlilkely to be in such a controlled situation.

I ran the macro a dozen times before posting originally and not once did the behaviour differ from what I described. But this time, Notepad got the right result every time.

That inconsistency sounds a characteristic of your problem too, Steve. Bizarre.

--