Macro Express Forums

Possible clue re performance issue?

I've recently installed a program called Process Lassoo, from http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.php

"Process Lasso's ProBalance (Process Balance) technology intelligently adjusts the priority of running programs so that badly behaved or overly active processes won't interfere with your ability to use the computer."

During yesterday (27/10/2009) I had 55-70 processes running, a fairly typical number. I was using many applications, including web browser, email, newsreader, image editor, media player, video players, video editor, DVD-authoring, text editor, Excel, Stiletto, Google earth, Memory Map, desktop searching, Macro Express Pro, and many other utilities. This is an extract from the display produced at the end of the day:

Time Process name PID Action More info

27-10/2009 07:00:07.140 macexp.exe 2288 Restored original process priority The process has quit affecting system responsiveness.

27-10/2009 07:00:05.140 macexp.exe 2288 Process priority temporarily lowered The process may have been affecting system responsiveness.

27-10/2009 06:29:12.718 macexp.exe 2288 Restored original process priority The process was brought to the foreground and foreground processes are excluded from ProBalance.

27-10/2009 06:29:10.718 macexp.exe 2288 Process priority temporarily lowered The process may have been affecting system responsiveness.

26-10/2009 20:15:25.376 ProcessGovernor.exe 5732 ©2009 Bitsum Technologies All rights reserved.

26-10/2009 20:15:25.376 ProcessGovernor.exe 5732 Beginning process management Managing processes for user(s): Terry

26-10/2009 20:15:25.375 ProcessGovernor.exe 5732 Core engine started - version: 3.70 [x32] Config from: C:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Application Data\ProcessLasso\prolasso.ini

As you see, in all this activity the only actions reported by Process Lassoo involved macexp.exe. (I don't know precisely what I was doing, if anything, at 06:29 when the Lassoo apparently lowered ME Pro's priority.)

This might be relevant to the discussion about so far unexplained slow performance and freezing issues.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Interesting detective work.

What puzzles me in this saga is that Task Manager shows no sign of outrageous behaviour by Macexp. The widget you used seems to find other causes for concern.

The worrying thing really is that there have been so many reports of this, and the discussion has gone on for so long, that you would have thought that an "official response" might have surfaced by now.

Instead, it is left to stalwarts like you to keep plugging away in a search for a pattern.

The worrying thing really is that there have been so many reports of this, and the discussion has gone on for so long, that you would have thought that an "official response" might have surfaced by now.

We are not sure what is causing the slow down. We have 'officially' asked questions on the forum to try to get more information. We do not have any news at this time other than we are working on the issue.

We are not sure what is causing the slow down. We have 'officially' asked questions on the forum to try to get more information. We do not have any news at this time other than we are working on the issue.

Perhaps Process Lassoo will help you to pinpoint the times of slow-down in your test environment and hence enable you to isolate the cause.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK