Macro Express Forums

Multiple Data Entry Dialogs

I was wondering how corporate users (or anyone else!) handled data entry where many items have to be collected. Single "Variable Set String at Prompt" repeated is not a great interface. Perhaps the usual is to set up a form in another application such as Excel? A text file set up similar to an ini file where the user fills in the "key values"?

I use "Variable Set String at Prompt" with "/" as a separator between items - the "menu" is in the Prompt. Perhaps the "field" names could be preset in the dialog and you overtype. Is a multiple variable input form something ME is lacking?

(edit) As soon as I posted I thought I had a great idea. Set input string first, Variable Set String %T[1]% to:

First Name:

Family Name:

Apt No:

Street Address:

District:

Town/City:

County:

State/Province:

Then set T1 with Prompt and the above would be the preset. You could fill in the information and process the variable to extract entries. The bummer was that the Variable Set String with Prompt is only a single line. You cannot resize to show multiple lines. I'll make that a Feature Request to ISS.

Edited by JohnS

I though I'd found a kludgy work-around!

Display a floating text box containing your field names, positioned precisely somewhere, then display as many prompts as there are data fields, positioning each prompt next to its field name. Unfortunately there seems to be a bug (reported) which prevents the prompt from being visible while the text box is displayed.

That's quite devious. What happens if I change screen res or font size?!

Now that I've found that the Variable Set String with Prompt dialog is not resizable, it seems quite silly. You can set a multiline string "now", but not with prompt. Why would there be a difference?

Given the fact that ME must be used in a lot of small offices, why wouldn't you have multiple Input box dialogs/forms - just like ME's setting dialogs? With those you can tab quickly from one box to the next. I'm surprised that there hasn't been demand from the larger users of ME. Although I haven't done it for a while, in Excel, the first thing I would do for a database was to create an input form with multiple Input boxes.

John,

There is an example of a self contained HTA in the original Forum for regular Macro Express users. Also, you could also take a look at AutoIt and AutoHotkey. You can create forms there also. It does take away from the power of macros and you would have to learn how these work, but ME doesn't have this capability all by itself.

Take a look at this: http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=248&hl=hta+form

....There is an example of a self contained HTA in the original Forum for regular Macro Express users.....

The link doesn't let me proceed. I don't know the magic handshake! No matter. That's one method I had not thought of, thanks.

I know that you can create forms elsewhere although it's generally a painful business. I've created my own web forms and I can get by with the methods I have within ME. I don't care too much what it looks like. I was trying to find out what forms other users employ. I guess you must have used the HTA mentioned so that's one down.

I've flogged the more professional appearance and customization aspects in other posts. I'm sure that a neater product would help sales and ultimately help us all - not that we don't appreciate the recent improvements.

I'll make this the 3rd Request for Feature today.

The link doesn't let me proceed. I don't know the magic handshake! No matter. That's one method I had not thought of, thanks.

Here's the correct thread URL:

http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=248

I know that you can create forms elsewhere although it's generally a painful business. I've created my own web forms and I can get by with the methods I have within ME. I don't care too much what it looks like. I was trying to find out what forms other users employ. I guess you must have used the HTA mentioned so that's one down.

I've flogged the more professional appearance and customization aspects in other posts. I'm sure that a neater product would help sales and ultimately help us all - not that we don't appreciate the recent improvements.

I'll make this the 3rd Request for Feature today.

It's always seemed a surprising ommission to me. And I'm guessing that much of the code used in Text Box Display would provide a good underlying structure, so I wouldn't have thought it a major project.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Thanks for the links guys. That looks quite handy. I think everyone is agreed that it is surprising that even the most basic bulk information input methods are unavailable. I'm sure ISS take more notice of feedback from their larger customers so what have those guys (the customers) been doing? Sleep at the wheel?

I took a look at inputting via Excel. The standard Data Form is geared to Excel (not necessarily a problem but it's another hindrance).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ,

He's an example of a HTA file i use to get multiple user input.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>ONDERDELEN</TITLE>

<META content="text/html; charset=unicode" http-equiv=Content-Type>

<META content=0 http-equiv=Expires><HTA:APPLICATION id=ExampleHTA scroll="no"

maximizeButton="yes" minimizeButton="yes" border="thin" singleInstance="yes" />

<script language=VBScript>

Sub Window_onLoad

window.resizeTo 310,520

window.offscreenBuffering = false

window.moveTo 370,100

End Sub

Sub SaveData

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\Scripts\onderdeel.tsv")

strLine = "aantal1 " & aantal1.Value & " " & "onderdeel1 " & onderdeel1.Value & " " & "aantal2 " & _

aantal2.Value & " " & "onderdeel2 " & onderdeel2.Value & " " & "aantal3 " & aantal3.Value & " " &"onderdeel3 "& onderdeel3.Value & " " & "prijsopgave " & prijsopgave.Value

objFile.WriteLine strLine

objFile.Close

window.Close

End Sub

</SCRIPT>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876"></HEAD>

<BODY style="FILTER: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient

(GradientType=1, StartColorStr='#330000', EndColorStr='#CC0033'); FONT: 14pt arial; COLOR: white"><BR>                    

<FONT size=1>Onderdeel

1</FONT>   <BR>      <SELECT

name=aantal1> <OPTION selected value=1>1</OPTION> <OPTION value=2>2</OPTION>

<OPTION value=3>3</OPTION> <OPTION value=4>4</OPTION> <OPTION

value=5>5</OPTION> <OPTION value=6>6</OPTION> <OPTION value=7>7</OPTION>

<OPTION value=8>8</OPTION> <OPTION value=9>9</OPTION> <OPTION

value=10>10</OPTION></SELECT>     <INPUT maxLength=20

name=onderdeel1> <BR><BR><FONT

size=1>                                          

Onderdeel 2</FONT><BR>      <SELECT

name=aantal2> <OPTION selected value=1>1</OPTION> <OPTION value=2>2</OPTION>

name=onderdeel2> <BR><BR><FONT

size=1>                                    

Onderdeel 3</FONT><BR>      <SELECT

name=aantal3> <OPTION selected value=1>1</OPTION> <OPTION value=2>2</OPTION>

name=onderdeel3> <BR><BR>                      <FONT

size=1>Prijsopave ?</FONT>      <SELECT

name=prijsopgave> <OPTION value=Ja>Ja</OPTION> <OPTION selected

value=Nee>Nee</OPTION></SELECT> <BR><BR><BR></SELECT>               

<INPUT onclick=SaveData value=Verzenden type=submit name=clickme><BR>   <BR>                 

<BR><font size="1" face="Arial"><font size="1"></font>Gebruik de 'TAB' toets om naar het volgende veld te gaan.</font>

</BODY></HTML>

Greetings,

Wilm