Macro Express Forums

Activate Window

After changing around for the last 3 hours I decided to give the forum a try.

All works OK except I can not Activate UltraEdit.

Window Activate: ProCD PhoneBooks

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ALT>vmoc

Wait for Window Title: UltraEdit

Delay: 5 seconds

Window Activate: UltraEdit

Bob

After changing around for the last 3 hours I decided to give the forum a try.

All works OK except I can not Activate UltraEdit.

Window Activate: ProCD PhoneBooks

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ALT>vmoc

Wait for Window Title: UltraEdit

Delay: 5 seconds

Window Activate: UltraEdit

Bob

I think I found my problem in Post -Simulate Keystrokes "Whoops!!!"-

By having "Simulate Keystrokes" I was wiping out the screen I wanted to activate.

So what is the big difference between Simulate Keystrokes" & " Use ClipBoard and Past Text". As long as I'm hear also "Send Text Directly to Control".

Bob

FYI you can edit your posts.

So what is the big difference between Simulate Keystrokes" & " Use Clipboard and Past Text". As long as I'm hear also "Send Text Directly to Control".
It's pretty much as they imply. You might want to read the help file on this but essentially when you simulate key stokes MEP types them out one at a time with a small delay in between each. The Clipboard option puts the text on the Windows Clipboard and pastes instead of typing. Sending to control does just that. It will send the text directly to the control. I always prefer to use controls in any and all cases I can. Problem is they are not always available. After controls I use text type for navigating and short strings of text then I use the clipboard method or any text more than about 10 characters or so. The reason being the paste takes time but when it executes it does it all at once. However I often have to add delays to my clipboard commands and sometimes apps have problems with a lot of rapid clipboard events so I often resort to simulated keystrokes.

Experiment for yourself. Open Notepad and create a single line macro with a Text Type with several paragraphs of text. Then try all three methods and observe the results.