Macro Express Forums

Activate window - Partial v Exact

Usually I'm relaxed about using Exact or Partial when configuring the Activate/Launch command. For example, if the program's title bar is exactly 'abc xyz', I can either lazily leave it at its default of Partial or use the Exact option. That's always seemed to be the case, whatever the string 'abc xyz'. (I tested it a minute ago using 'untitled - Notepad', in case it was some newly introduced quirk of 4.1.7.1, but that worked fine with either option.)

So I'm puzzled to come across an instance where the distinction does appear to matter. I recently took my first bite of an Apple and treated myself to an iPad. This morning I wrote line 1 of a macro to open the associated Windows PC application, iTunes.

It works fine and opens iTunes (or activates its window) if I use the Window Title 'iTunes' with 'Exact Match'. But if I leave it at 'Partial Match', it fails.

Anyone else with iTunes able to check that please? Or come across same behaviour with any other program?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

How strange. This is the command and code that consistently fails:

Activate or Launch: Window "itunes", Program "iTunes.exe", Parameters ""

<ACTIVATE OR LAUNCH Title="itunes" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" Path="C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe" Mode="\x00" Default_Path="TRUE" Wait="1" Wait_For_Program="12"/>

Is yours the same?

The macro runs for about half a second, but iTunes doesn't get started.

--

I've submitted a report, although I'm not sure whether this undoubted inconsistency is a straight bug or some weird Apple stuff! I'm hoping Insight can get to the core of the issue. :rolleyes:

Edit: My subsequent post, 15th Sep, reporting that I received no acknowledgement to the above, appears to have been peremptorily removed from the thread! As I assume this might be too.

--

• 3 weeks later...

Another program that behaves the same due to this ME Pro bug is IrfanView. Using the default 'Partial' never works, but 'Exact' does.

Paul's work-around of checking 'The name contains wildcards' works, but it goes against the grain to say that when it's untrue! I may as well get into the habit of that extra click to always use 'Exact' when it *is*.

I reported the bug but had no acknowledgement.

--

My email asked why Insight no longer sends out automatic acknowledgements with a tracking number.

You replied "If a newly reported issue is already in our tracking system it is merged with the other issue. The system may not send an acknowledgement email with the tracking number. Rest assured that the issue has not been lost."

But, as I responded, why do you no longer acknowledge reports that users have taken the trouble to submit? Even if only to tell them it has been associated with an earlier report.

I've had no response to that question.

--

So, I've been looking into this today (the bug, not the report) and I can't find a reason for it.

Using the script example from the post #4, I had it properly locate iTunes and activate it. I looked through the source code, just to be sure, and it looks like everything is being called correctly.

However, please be aware that this was not the case several builds back. I can't remember which build it was, but the parameters to a function call were reversed, causing exactly what you were seeing. However, if you're using 4.1.7.1, then it should be working correctly.

So, if you have "partial" selected and "use wildcards" unselected (as is the case with the code in post #4), then it's fixed in the latest build of MEPro.

So, I know that this is an obvious (and perhaps dumb) question, but could you please make sure that you're running MEPro 4.1.7.1 and iTunes 10.1 (which I tested against)?

So, I've been looking into this today (the bug, not the report) and I can't find a reason for it.

Using the script example from the post #4, I had it properly locate iTunes and activate it. I looked through the source code, just to be sure, and it looks like everything is being called correctly.

However, please be aware that this was not the case several builds back. I can't remember which build it was, but the parameters to a function call were reversed, causing exactly what you were seeing. However, if you're using 4.1.7.1, then it should be working correctly.

So, if you have "partial" selected and "use wildcards" unselected (as is the case with the code in post #4), then it's fixed in the latest build of MEPro.

So, I know that this is an obvious (and perhaps dumb) question, but could you please make sure that you're running MEPro 4.1.7.1 and iTunes 10.1 (which I tested against)?

Chris,

OK thanks. First, this is 4.1.7.1, but I'm using iTunes 9. I don't think that will turn out to be relevant, as you'll see below.

This is what I've just done, with different results from before.

I created a new one line macro, identical to the previous one:

Activate or Launch: Window "iTunes", Program "iTunes.exe", Parameters ""

<ACTIVATE OR LAUNCH Title="iTunes" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" Path="C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe" Mode="\x00" Default_Path="TRUE" Wait="1" Wait_For_Program="12"/>

I pressed F9 and Enter to run it. It crashed ME Pro. Running Man remained in tray despite clicking and use of Pause+Scroll. Eventually terminated via XP Pro Task Manager.

That wasn't too surprising - I get inexplicable crashes from ME Pro a few times a week. So I restarted and expected to see incorrect results like those I described previously (and which as you saw Paul also confirmed up-thread). But this time and the next half dozen or so it has run correctly. I tried all 3 options:

Partial, no wildcards

Exact

Partial + wildcards

and all started iTunes and the macro terminated naturally.

As they say, go figure!

--

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...