Macro Express Forums

Keyboard bug

I tried to assign the rarely-used key shown below to a macro. ME Pro incorrectly reported that it was 'LMouse' but I went ahead in a spirit of curiosity. I added one Text Type command to the macro and saved it. From that point onwards the mouse was unusable until ME Pro was terminated. I've now deleted the macro.

TopLeftKey.jpg

Why is that key wrongly reported by ME Pro please?

Any way to get it assigned, as it falls easily to the left hand.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Here in Oz that key doesn't exist. The left-most key is ~ when shifted and ` when not - and MEP doesn't allow it to be a hotkey (unless Alt or Ctrl or Shift is pressed). The | is in the 2nd row at the far right (it's shift+\). The other character is nowhere to be seen.

And here in (English-speaking) Canada, our keyboards are more like the Australian than the English. The photo LOOKS like this keyboard might have the "Gr Alt" key, which changes some how some characters are accessed. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key

I guess the main way to tell is this: does your keyboard have two "Alt" keys, or one "Alt" and a "Gr Alt" key? If the former, it should work; if the latter, you might have to hold down "Gr Alt" while pressing the key. (I think Shift is involved somehow too...)

Maybe it would work if you change the keymapping for Windows from UK English to -- may I say it? -- US English?

I do have an Alt Gr key. This is what I get with various combinations:

No extra keys: `

Plus Shift: ¬

Plus Alt Gr: ¦

I just want to use the key unaccompanied, i.e. the first of those three. I never use that character otherwise, so it's a natural for a hotkey. Frustrating that I can't assign it.

What is particularly puzzling is why ME Pro drags the mouse into this scenario, so to speak.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

• 2 weeks later...

I know you're trying to assign the key as a hot key and I don't know how to do it either. However, do you use shortkey activations for any other macros? If not, you can remove the default shortkey prefix, which is ##, and then assign the key in question (I believe it's called the tilde key) to your macro as a shortkey activation. It works for me - single press of the key and a macro runs.