Macro Express Forums

Audio Mute: quiet but not silent?

Not exactly a major problem, this, but I'm curious. I've used the Audio Mute Toggle command in a few macros recently, typically immediately before a command to save a file, in order to silence the warning sound that accompanies the message 'Save changes to xyz?'. But I note that, although it's much quieter, it's not mute.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

No idea. It's completely quiet for me.

Thanks for checking. Strange. Some characteristic of my RealTek on-board sound card perhaps. I'd say it was about -20 dB. I'll check it with a WAV or MP3 next, in case it's just 'Windows sounds' that raise the issue.

--

Terry, UK

I tested as planned with WAV and MP3. Mute produced silence. I re-tested my original macro and again got a very quiet result, but not mute.

Here's my simple test macro:

Audio Mute Toggle // Switch off sound.

Program Launch: "Test.txt" (Normal)

Parameters:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): x

Delay: 0.1 seconds

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL><F4>

Delay: 0.1 seconds

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): y // YES to question 'Save changes to Test.txt?'

Audio Mute Toggle // Toggle sound back on.

Is it only possible to attach a file to original posts, i.e. thread starters? I'm sure I've been able to do so in replies before? Anyway, here it is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/TestMute.mex

Cory: What did you test it with before your earlier reply please?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Thanks for the macro but that doesn't work for me. Apparently in W7 Notepad doesn't make a sound for that dialog. But I played with the Multimedia Beep command and was able to create the symptom you describe. First off the 100mS timing resulted in no apparent mute to the beep. I think this is because it takes the system longer to execute and play the snippet than 100mS. For instance if I changed the values to 1S there was no apparent sound. But if I tweaked with the delay value I would get a quiet beep. If you look at a plot of the levels the sound does not go from 100% to zero instantly. It trails off. So I'm thinking in this case if you were to increase you timing you could eliminate the sound completely.

I would just like to get on a soapbox for the moment. The definition of mute is to "Deaden, muffle, or soften the sound of", not to turn off. Musicians have a device called a mute but it doesn't eliminate sound. And I don't like the modern idea that mute is associated with no sound. And early on there were TV's and such that had a mute button but it only attenuated the sound for commercials. I'd like to have a real 'mute' button again. Or maybe a two step button. Click once for mute, and again for sound off.