Macro Express Forums

Reversing a text string?

I wouldn't like to spend hours attempting this if one of the experts here has already written it please!

With a variable containing any string like c:\abc\xyz\whateverxxx, I want to end up with xxxrevetahw\zyx\cba\:c

Alternatively, can anyone suggest the easiest approach? Ideally I'd like to avoid arrays (they induce headaches) but if needs must...

P.S: In case anyone's curious, I would then use such a sub-macro as part of a macro to find 'xyz' in the above string, where 'whatever' is the only part already known (and doesn't appear elsewhere).

If I solve the reversal procedure myself (or avoid it by finding another approach to the intended macro) I'll report back at once.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

OK, I've avoided the need not only for the reversal but also for finding that section of the path.

I was doing that in order to activate an Explorer folder with the title 'whatever' (I don't show full paths in folder titles). But, with a little care before I run the macro, I can use Alt+Tab to get me to it instead.

--------------------

But a string reversal routine could be useful sometime - and anyway my curiosity is aroused now. So any thoughts would still be welcomed please.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Variable Set String %Input%: Prompt

Variable Set Integer %Length% to the length of variable %Input%

Repeat Start (Repeat %Length% times)

Variable Modify String: Copy a substring in %Input%, starting at %Index% and 1 characters long to %Char%

Variable Modify String %Output%: Append Text String Variable (%Char%)

End Repeat

Text Box Display: Result

<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x01" Destination="%Input%" Prompt="Please input a string of characters" Mask="FALSE" OnTop="FALSE" Left="Center" Top="Center" Monitor="0"/>

<VARIABLE SET INTEGER Option="\x0D" Destination="%Length%" Text_Variable="%Input%"/>

<REPEAT START Start="%Length%" Step="-1" Count="%Length%" Save="TRUE" Variable="%Index%"/>

<VARIABLE MODIFY STRING Option="\x09" Destination="%Char%" Variable="%Input%" Start="%Index%" Count="1" NoEmbeddedVars="FALSE"/>

<VARIABLE MODIFY STRING Option="\x07" Destination="%Output%" Variable="%Char%" NoEmbeddedVars="FALSE"/>

<END REPEAT/>

<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Result" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang1033{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 %Output%\\f1 \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>