Macro Express Forums

Process Event PER USER

I'd like a to use the Process Event/Process Starts Running activation method but I want it to work only when the process is started by the user, not other users logged onto the same machine. This is a common scenario on Citrix servers or shared workstations where all users have the same macro available to them. Any ideas?

Yours triggers with other users? In my experimentation using the Repeat With Process command MEP is only aware of the current user's processes. Have you tested to confirm this?

The scenario is when user "B" has attached himself to an executable fired up by user "A", and somewhere there is a macro set to activate when that executable fires up, or shuts down, then you do not want that macro to run for user user "B" because he did not fire up the executable that activated the macro.

Do I understand that scenario correctly? I was not aware that others could attach themselves to executables fired up by someone else. I am ignorant of many many system-level thingies that can be done.

If it can be done, then there must be a system-level way to determine who fired up the executable. I know there are ways to get process IDs, but I am not sure how user "B" could get that information from an executable he did not fire up.

My situation is a little different. I have a macro that runs on a server and there's another support company that sometimes connects to the server under a different account and causes MEP to load again. They try to do the same thing and conflict. I could have dropped some kind of marker in the registry but what if MEP crashed and didn't pick it up? It would never load again and need to be manually picked up. So I thought better to check processes. But MEP will not see processes running in another users' session. So I decided to write a .NET program as an MEP launcher which could check to see if MEP was already running. And do a few other things.

Ultimately I need to get MEP off this clients server because all it does is various unattended scheduled tasks and audits. Not the best solution for things like this and I need to write some apps that can run as services to replace it.