Macro Express Forums

Macro Express seems ineffective in MP3Tag

When I download some podcasts their name is prefixed with a numerical code - that interferes with the kind of playback which I do. It is easy to use MP3TAG manually to remove those codes, but its a very repetitive process which therefore lends itself to automation by macro. I can launch the MP3Tag program by macro. The next step of selecting all the files to be processed, can be preset within MP3Tag; then the next step is to apply an MP3Tag action which can be effectively called by manually pressing ALT2, but not by macro. I'm looking for suggestions on how to make Macro Express succeed in triggering the effect of ALT2.  

The attachment shows the result of the  START of the macro, with the file list already selected, ready for processing. The next step is shown in the CONVERT menu which lists ALT2 as the hotkey - shown in the second attachment. manually, ALT2 works, but the code shown in the third attachment does not work.

MP3TAG.JPG

Convert.JPG

macrocode.JPG

Manually I just click on it. Maybe I should have added 'open convert menu' to the macro - I went straight for the ALT2 because that works manually.

I have now tried ALT C and that works to open the Convert menu.

Of possible relevance is the attachments - whose contents seem to contradict the fact the the macro opens the MP3Tag oprogram

error.JPG

I have bittersweet news - having consulted the MP3Tag people, they suggested trying MacroRecorder, and while recording failed to achieve success, BUILDING a macro as I have learned to do in Macro Express, succeed almost at first attempt (or close to it anyway).

One way in which Macro Express is superior (until I discover otherwise) is that it has and END mechanism which closes all relevant windows. I have yet to find that in MacroRecorder.

Change the target of your window activate instruction to "Mp3Tag". Make it "partial match" and don't use wildcards.

Try to get the macro to work for the current version "v3.10" before you attempt to anticipate future

If <ALT>2 isn't working, delete the line and recreate it. If you have inadvertently included an invisible character or a space on that line, the instruction might fail.

That particular problem has now been solved using MacroRecorder, so I'm not inclined to go back to it, but I have a number of other macro projects in which that might be applied.

'for the current version "v3.10" before you attempt to anticipate future' I have been working with v6 for a long time now.

'If you have inadvertently included an invisible character' - I have no idea how to recognise or create an invisible character.

22 minutes ago, Sebastian42 said:

I have no idea how to recognise or create an invisible character.

Invisible characters are hard to see! :)

Invisible characters can be introduced by accident. For example, if the text you place inside the "Text Type" window was copied from another application, formatting instructions might come along for the ride.

Or pressing Enter or the spacebar inside the "Text Type" window might add an extra key press that's hard to spot.

3 hours ago, Sebastian42 said:

I have no idea how to recognise or create an invisible character

If you suspect an invisible (usually leading or trailing) character, you can display its invisibleness (new word, invented today!) in a text box.

Let's say you wonder about variable %text% which appears to contain ABC.  In a text box, display >>>%text%<<<.

If it really contains only ABC, the display will be >>>ABC<<<.  No "white space" between the variable and the brackets.

If there is a non-displayable character at beginning or end, the display will be >>> ABC<<< or >>>ABC <<<