Macro Express Forums

Keystrokes not working in an MMC window

Hi all,

I have created a simple macro for getting the properties of an entry in a Microsoft Management Console window:

Alt+ A, R ( for properties), Tab (to relevant entry), Enter ( to open properties) , Copy highlighted field to clipboard - dead simple. If I just do this manually with key presses, all works well. If I use the script, it does nothing. I have added a message box at the end to check it finishes but that doesn't work either.

I had thought that because I was running this from my own PC, into a Citrix session, and on to and RDP session, it was getting lost in the mix somewhere, but I have installed MEX on the RDP machine and it still fails. I added some long pauses in case of latency.

I also tested on my own PC in an MMC window displaying Local users and groups, and that fails too.

It seems that I cannot run any scripted keyboard presses in a console window.

Can anyone shed any light on this or let me know if there is a workaround?

Many thanks

Andy

That seems to be working , thanks for the pointer. 

Running as Admin is a bit of a pain, but when it is finished, it will be a once-only script to export several hundred databases. so worth persevering with.

Thanks

Andy

This is by design. Many sensitive Windows system apps require admin level privileges in order to work. It's a security measure.