Macro Express Forums

Jump Between Windows With Same Names

koden

I have 2 diff. programs that has the same window name.

I can't rename the window name.

I use the launch and activate command every time i jump between the 2 programs.

I launch the program file from C drive for each program.

C:\program1 or C:\program2

But it's slow....

It can sometimes take up to a minute.

Is there a bether way to jump between to programs with the same window name???

I have 2 diff. programs that has the same window name.

That's unusual, what are they called?

I use the launch and activate command every time i jump between the 2 programs.

Why is that? Are they both closed after every run, rather than simply losing focus or being minimised? If they are both still running, you can of course just use Activate Window.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

I too have run into this same problem. For instance eMail messages often have the same title or programs like calculator. If I understand correctly you are re-launching the application as a workaround which is slower.

Since almost ever window manipulation in ME relies on the name the only thing I could think of is to use ALT+TAB to go back and forth. Or you could have ME position the two windows in such a way that you could mouse click on either of the visible title bars. You could even get the window position and such at run time in case it changes. Hmmm… There must be a better way though.

I don't think so. I was even thinking of a Repeat With Windows but if you tell ME to activate window "Calculator" it would probably always give you the first instance. How would you get it to activat the second Calculator? It would be good to know if there is a way.

You're right. Just tried that with two identically named windows running and ME always activated the same one as you predicted.

OK, how about something as crude as this. Ensure parts of both are always visible and in same relative positions on screen, and left click appropriately to get focus.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

I already suggested that. You could even have ME arrange them so that no matter which is on top both title bars are visible and a mouse click away. It's crude but it should work.

Solutions like that don't appeal to me, it's not elegant enough. What if another window popped up in the mean time or a gazillion other what-ifs.

The inability of ME to cope with this is a shortcoming. Hopefully they will address this in the future.

OK, sorry, didn't see that.

I think I'd be inclined to bring an external application in to help. For example, I have a power utility (and macro-writing) program called Stiletto (now obsolete and replaced by PowerPro). With a click in a fixed place on a menu icon called Switch to Active, it displays a list of all program windows, and each can then be selected and activated.

Or go down the route of getting the program names changed!

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK