Macro Express Forums

Run on Winodws Startup

Cory

The 'Run on Windows Startup' setting is set from the shortcut in the Startup folder. On Windows XP it is in either

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

or

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

. Windows Vista uses different folder locations.

Working on Saturday eh?

I know the startup folder bit. Wha I was looking for was in the prefernces there is an option for "Run on Windows Startup" checkbox followed be a "Program Paramters" section. I found the parameters but I cna't find the startup option.

I know the startup folder bit. Wha I was looking for was in the prefernces there is an option for "Run on Windows Startup" checkbox followed be a "Program Paramters" section. I found the parameters but I cna't find the startup option.

The parameter string in the Options->Preferences->Startup->Command Line Parameter field is placed within the shortcut link's Target field when the shortcut link is created. Is this what you mean?

This answers my question. The weird bit is that when I couldn’t find a section I tested to see if the mechanism was to generate the file as described but it didn’t. I must have missed something.

What is the mechanism for generating the shortcut files? Specifically when does it happen. In addition I would like to know what the contingency is for an existing shortcut. If, say, you change the command line parameter does it update the shortcut, generate a new one or what?

What is the mechanism for generating the shortcut files? Specifically when does it happen.

It happens when you click the Apply button in Options->Preferences->Startup. If you open the folder where the shortcut link is kept (see Kevin above) you can see the change take place. If you uncheck Run on Windows' Startup and click Apply, you will see the shortcut link disappear, and vice-versa.

In addition I would like to know what the contingency is for an existing shortcut. If, say, you change the command line parameter does it update the shortcut, generate a new one or what?

Same goes for changes to the Command Line Parameters field. The shortcut link will be rewritten.

How about afterwards? What the user deletes the shortcut file, will ME recreate it? Also what if a file already exists with a special command line parameter already?

I think I may have been barking up the wrong tree here. It sounds like it would be just as good a measaure to manage teh shortcuts themselves. Unless ME will recreate if it wakes up and sees it missing.

What is the mechanism for generating the shortcut files? Specifically when does it happen.
It happens when you click the Apply button in Options->Preferences->Startup.
This is true after you enable the 'Run on Windows Startup' option.

What the user deletes the shortcut file, will ME recreate it?
No. The shortcut is the setting. Similarly, if the 'Run on Windows Startup' option is unchecked and the user creates a shortcut named 'Macro Express 3.lnk' outside of Macro Express, then the option will be enabled the next time you go into the Macro Express Preferences.
Also what if a file already exists with a special command line parameter already?
If it is named something different than 'Macro Express 3.lnk' then it will remain untouched by Macro Express. If it is named 'Macro Express 3.lnk' then Macro Express will overwrite it with the command line parameters defined in the preferences.

Ah, this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for but it doesn’t seem very useful as ME doesn’t appear to enforce the file existence after the fact. IOW if I check the box, close preferences, and manually delete the file ME will never recreate it. Since it doesn’t ‘stick’ and wants to add it to places like C:\Users\cory.CJ\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup which will differ from machine to machine I think it will be better to just manage the shortcut files and if necessary protect them with NTFS ACLs.

Thansk guys!