Macro Express Forums

Resizing windows on a remote desktop connection

bluppfisk

I have this program on my remote desktop that has a number of child windows. However, the program on the remote desktop does not remember their positions so every day I have to arrange the child windows again. Very annoying, so I figured I'd have a Macro do it for me. However, when I use the Macro Express Window Ccommand "activate window", the remote desktop window is in the list of active windows, but not the program that is running within the Remote Desktop, let alone its child windows.

Any ideas?

When you use Remote Desktop to access another computer, the window that is displayed is a picture of what is happening on the remote computer. The windows that are displayed within the remote desktop window are not recognized as separate windows on your local computer. This is due to how Remote Desktop and Windows works.

One way around this is to install and run Macro Express on the remote computer. (This requires a separate license.)

Kevin is correct, you need to buy and install ME on the other machine. But beware that there are several pitfalls to running Macros on remote machines this way. In a nutshell if the RD window is minimized or disconnected all interaction with the remote GUI bits ceases. A workaround I often take is to have a windowed (not full screen) RD session, fire the macro, then open up other windows on my local system to do other things while it runs in the background.

Kevin is correct, you need to buy and install ME on the other machine. But beware that there are several pitfalls to running Macros on remote machines this way. In a nutshell if the RD window is minimized or disconnected all interaction with the remote GUI bits ceases. A workaround I often take is to have a windowed (not full screen) RD session, fire the macro, then open up other windows on my local system to do other things while it runs in the background.

I was already afraid that it wasn't going to work that way. A pity, because I cannot install Macro Express on the RDC since I'm working for quite a big company that will not listen to my request :) I guess I'll have to find a way around :-/