Macro Express Forums

Windows sounds and selecting cascading menus

G Aksland

I use cascading menus. From the primary I can select others. If I select the next desired menu using the mouse on the drop down menu, the next menu is displayed. If I use the keyboard and pick the menu from the drop down list with a keystroke, I receive a 'dunk' windows sound, and the menu is selected. This is very annoying as I need the speaker on. Using the mouse to select, no problem, using the keyboard I get the 'dunk' windows sound. any ideas how I get around this problem.

Hopefully G Aksland

In Windows Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, there is a Sounds tab where you can tailor the sound (the .wav file) that Windows uses for a variety of Windows events. One of the options for each event is "None". If you can figure out which "event" is associated with a menu selection, you can turn off that particular sound.

Thank you both for your suggestions .....

Turning off the sound would be a possibility, but it may be associated with somthing I need the sound on for. I would prefer to find out why ME only does the 'dunk' sound when selecting the next menu using the keyboard, if the mouse is used there is no noise. When I select my 'master' menu there is no noise and I am using the keyboard to select it. Some of the other next menus do not make the sound. It would seem it is a problem with ME itself, as there are really no options when creating a menu that I can find to change anything that might be causing the 'dunk' noise. It's like ME is leaving the key I pressed in the keyboard buffer after the menu selection has been performed, and the program I am using ME in, that keystroke is not allowed. I feel it is a problem inherent inside of ME. I have called tech support and I have been told "we will forward this to our programming team", but I have never heard back. ME should be intercepting that keystroke using to select the 'next' menu selection, removing it from the keyboard buffer, after the keyboard selection is made, then windows would not be aware of it, and wouldn't respond with that annoying 'dunk'.

If you turn off ME and do all keystrokes manually, can you reproduce the 'dunk' ?

[/quote

I use the AltK to bring up my 'primary' menu, the others are selected while the 'main macro' has be started, and has displayed a menu selection which some are other menus, and macros. The key that causes the 'dunk' sound is the M which corresponds to the next menu I am calling up. ( at this point if I select the 'm' menu with the mouse it executes w/o the 'dunk') The 'm' by it's self does not cause a 'dunk' in the application with ME de activated. If I select another secondary menu using 0 for example, no 'dunk'. I have looked through all the options in the 'create menu' part of ME and cannot find anything I can change to make a difference. The fact that it does not happed when selecting with the mouse, and only with the keyboard, it has to be an issue of ME allowing somthing to be placed in the keyboard buffer at the time of menu selection that the current app dosn't like. ME should capture that 'm' keystroke when bringing up the secondary menu, and not let the app I am working in be aware it was even pressed.

Thanks G Aksland

When selecting a menu via the keyboard, do you ever press the Enter key? There are many applications where pressing the Enter key causes exactly the problem you describe. It's generally caused by the application failing to "eat" the keystroke.

None of the menu selections I have mentions involve the enter key.

G Aksland

• 3 weeks later...
You could also use the Audio Mute and Audio Unmute commands in your macro.

I am using a primary menu Alt K to bring up a selection of other menus, the unwanted 'dunk' comes when selecting the second menu while in the Alt K menu. As these are menu selections I see no way to impliment "Audio Mute and Audio Unmute" while calling the next menu, as it is not actually a macro but a menu selection. Any other suggestions?

The only times Macro Express will play a system sound are when an error dialog comes up or when the Sound Wave command is used. To determine why Windows is making a sound you need to do as Paul suggested: Do things manually to see where the sound comes from. Then make sure your macro is only doing what you did manually.

You might need to create a small test macro to play with until you figure out what is happening. In other words: experiment, explore, observe.

The only times Macro Express will play a system sound are when an error dialog comes up or when the Sound Wave command is used. To determine why Windows is making a sound you need to do as Paul suggested: Do things manually to see where the sound comes from. Then make sure your macro is only doing what you did manually.

You might need to create a small test macro to play with until you figure out what is happening. In other words: experiment, explore, observe.

This sound is not occuring when I play a macro. My primary menu starts with Alt K, at this time macros AND menus are possible selections. If I choose a MENU selection (not a macro) by pressing the key displayed in the menu matrix, displayed by ME, I get the disired menu and the 'dunk' sound. When I select the exact same selection using the mouse, there is no noise, just the expected next menu. The noise is the difference between using the keyboard and the mouse. When a ME menu is displayed on the screen, a keystroke issued to choose a menu item should be handled by ME, and the 'dunk' seems to indicate that ME IS NOT intercepting the keystroke but allowing it to be seen by an underlying program. How does the underlying program I am working in know what key I pressed if ME is correctly INTERCEPTING and DISPOSING of the keystroke as an action of menu selection?

As I stated before it seems to me that ME is NOT properly handling the keystroke used in menu interaction.

• 1 month later...

Kevin,

I did as you suggested. The 'dunk' sound is because the underlying program askSam I am running in, does not accept the keystroke Alt K.

I have a Main menu that calls other menus, the keystroke K is the menu selection I am making on the keyboard while in the 'main menu'. The problem, when the primary menu is called "M" is the location of the macro I must use, if I click on the "M" selection with the mouse, no problem. If I press the "M" key corresponding to the selection I need from the menu on the screen, Macro Express does not capture the SINGLE KEYSTROKE (required by the menu) "M" keystroke and dispose of it, it allow the underlying program to 'see' it, hence the 'dunk' sound. This seem like an elementary need for ME to isolate the underlying program from 'seeing' what ever SINGLE KEYSTROKE required by the menu, as all menu selections are single keystrokes. ME should remove that keystroke from the buffer and not allow it to be 'seen' by the underlying program. PLEASE FIX THIS AS IT IS REALLY ANNOYING.