Macro Express Forums

Backup Outlook .pst

patgenn123

Hello everyone!

I just recently experienced an error that caused my computer to go down. I had to get the information "ghosted" to a new drive and it cost me an arm and a leg.

In order to combat this, I want to backup certain things like Outlook .pst.

If I have to "reformat" my computer(which is much cheaper I might say), then the backup will be easier and cheaper.

Is this the only thing I have to do?

Copy this file: C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook using ME every hour/day/minute etc.

Is this the only thing I have to do is save the Outlook .pst as a backup?

Thanks!

Pat

Backing up and restoring Outlook is a fairly elaborate process. In fact, there are programs designed just for that. For a step-by-step guide refer to his MS page:

How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2007, 2003, and 2002

And a related page for Outlook Express:

How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data

Hello everyone!

I just recently experienced an error that caused my computer to go down. I had to get the information "ghosted" to a new drive and it cost me an arm and a leg.

If I have to "reformat" my computer(which is much cheaper I might say), then the backup will be easier and cheaper.

Copy this file: C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook using ME every hour/day/minute etc.

Thanks!

Pat

Thanks Lemming!

I downloaded the backup. Good thing.

However, it looks like it saves it to the same directory I mentioned above. I see there is a HUGE Outlook .pst there already.

I am going to monitor this and see what that is. My best guess is it's the same thing.

Could anyone correct me if I am wrong? The backup program mentioned by Lemming only backs up once a day. If the .pst folder in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook is the same thing, I wonder how many times the existing .pst updates itself?

Pat

As a confirmation from my previous post, I did notice that the .pst file in this file directory INCREASED with the additional e-mails created in the inbox etc.. It wasn't instantaneous, but it was pretty fast. Again the directory is C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

You could easily use a macro to schedule a backup more often than once a day.

Could anyone correct me if I am wrong, please?

Pat

The PST file is a paged database file much like the actual database store used in Exchange and it contains everything you see in the folders view of Outlook. Just make sure you keep your contacts in the contacts folder and not use the external address book. So it's a simple matter to make copies of it for a simple backup. However I don't think you can effectively copy it while it's in use. I know with Exchange you can copy the file but if you later try to restore it the IS will complain that the database is 'inconsistent'. In Exchange what we do for 'offline backups' is to take the IS offline and do the shuffle with some other verification tasks. You might want to research this but I think you will need to close Outlook if you want to use a simple file copy. Barring that you can simply use ME3's file manipulation commands to make backup copies wherever you like whenever you like. But look around and I'm sure you will find software that can actively backup the database from MAPI with OL open.

BTW be careful with large PST file. Depending on which version you have large PST files can become a problem. You might want to consider the AutoArchive feature to push old messages into an archive.

BTW if you're serious about cheap thoughtless effective offsite backup subscribe to Carbonite or Mozy. I do and have gotten many of my friends on it. It's incredible.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone!

Thanks!

Pat

I like using outlook, but like troubles force me to find a probable solutions for such unpleasant situations. Perhaps the next software would become one of the best solution here - pst mail viewer.

This really isn't a Macro Express issue, forgive me for prolonging it.

Outlook databases need cleaning up from time to time. You should clean out deleted messages and compact the database to recover empty space. Outlook also comes with a repair tool (scanpst) that can fix damage that may not kill Outlook, but that will affect other software that tries to connect to Outlook.

I suggest that you take any problems with Outlook to this place:

My own backup regime is to use synchback to run daily backups. There are various versions, including a freebie.

In my case SyncBack works over a LAN – my PCs wake up early and do it before I start work – but I also do weekly backups to a USB drive.