Macro Express Forums

Trouble shutting down with MEP

Ever since I upgraded to MEP, most of the time when I shut down Windows or log off I get a dialog box saying something to the effect that it is waiting for Macro Express Pro to stop. Then after some seconds it changes to "Program not responding" and I have to press the END NOW button in order continue.

I've not seen this anywhere else, so I gather it's not a common problem. But I was wondering if anyone has a solution.

Thanks,

David

You might first check if a macro is running. Do you see a green running man icon in the system tray?

If you terminate MEP manually does it hang then as well?

Someone else was complaining about backups not being created at log off, this could be related.

You might first check if a macro is running. Do you see a green running man icon in the system tray?

If you terminate MEP manually does it hang then as well?

Someone else was complaining about backups not being created at log off, this could be related.

Doesn't seem to make any difference. I had no problem with ME. It started with MEP.

Doesn't seem to make any difference. I had no problem with ME. It started with MEP.

It happens to me all the time, I just never reported it because it happens, or did happen, with a couple of other programs at diffrent times, too. Not being an expert in these things I simply assumed it to be a tick in Windows shutdown procedures. I could be wrong. Probably am wrong.

So are you saying that if you manually try to close MEP it fails to close? Your response is unclear.

I can shut down MEP with no problem. When I try to exit Windows via logoff or shutdown and MEP is running in the SYS Tray, MEP will sometimes hang (more often than not) and refuse to shutdown (at Windows request) and I will have to manually shutdown MEP via the END NOW button on the displayed dialog box.

I can shut down MEP with no problem. When I try to exit Windows via logoff or shutdown and MEP is running in the SYS Tray, MEP will sometimes hang (more often than not) and refuse to shutdown (at Windows request) and I will have to manually shutdown MEP via the END NOW button on the displayed dialog box.

David,

I (correctly) get what sounds similar behaviour with applications in which there are files open that I've not yet saved at the time of closing Windows. Could it be that one or more unsaved macros in Script Editor are the cause?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry and Cory and others,

It happens to me frequently at school where I have to log on to the system. I thought it was because MEP was backing up my macro file (which I found it was not). It can take a long time for MEP to terminate on a log off. I wonder what is going on.

Did anyone submit a Bug Report? If not, I will initiate one.

Jeff Cleveland

David,

I (correctly) get what sounds similar behaviour with applications in which there are files open that I've not yet saved at the time of closing Windows. Could it be that one or more unsaved macros in Script Editor are the cause?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I don't think so. My wife shares this computer using her own account. She doesn't use MEP, but yet when she logs off or shuts down she gets the same error.

Terry and Cory and others,

It happens to me frequently at school where I have to log on to the system. I thought it was because MEP was backing up my macro file (which I found it was not). It can take a long time for MEP to terminate on a log off. I wonder what is going on.

Did anyone submit a Bug Report? If not, I will initiate one.

Jeff Cleveland

Go ahead and summit a report.

I'm having the same problem.

NOTE: No backups are scheduled; "Never backup automatically" is selected.

For clarification, the END NOW button is associated with a Windows pop-up ("End Program - Macro Express Pro | This program is not responding..."), not an MEP pop-up.

• 2 weeks later...

Friends,

FYI, I use MEP at school. I have found that if I do not select "Backup every time ME is closed" the problem with MEP taking a long time to close on log-off disappears. I have disabled that function on all the computers I use at school.

I now use a macro to backup my file.

Jeff

• 4 months later...
I have the same option configuration for never backup and I still get the hang on Windows XP shutdown every time.

Any answers since the earlier posts?

I had to discontinue daily use of MEP as Windows would always hang at logoff. Based on Kevin's post above, disabling the auto backup should solve the problem. It never did for me. I thought a bug report had been submitted. Was there ever any response?

We are aware that several customers are seeing the "Program Not Responding / End Now" message even though the macro files are not being backed up. We are working in the issue.

Thanks, Kevin. MEP is a valuable tool that I still use most every day. I just have to be aware when it's running so that I can pay attention when logging off. I look forward to a solution.

David