Macro Express Forums

Check For Update Problem

Before upgrading at home, I had been checking through the "Check For Updates" menu selection under Help -> On the Web in the ME Explorer window.

Even after the new update was released and posted about in this forum, the "Check for Updates" simply opened this window:

post-2634-1232990114_thumb.jpg

So I ended up having to update through the link in the forum (not difficult, but ironic considering the forum isn't operated by ISS).

Now that I'm upgrading at work, I checked again, same results as from home.

After updating, the Check for Updates link displays:

post-2634-1232990692_thumb.jpg

I don't think this is necessarily a bug with MEP, however it is confusing when the "CfU" option tells you your current build is the most up-to-date when, obviously, it is not.

Just wanted to pass this along to Kevin, Stan, et al. who might know (or be) the person that could fix this little quirk.

Before upgrading at home, I had been checking through the "Check For Updates" menu selection under Help -> On the Web in the ME Explorer window.

Even after the new update was released and posted about in this forum, the "Check for Updates" simply opened this window:

post-2634-1232990114_thumb.jpg

So I ended up having to update through the link in the forum (not difficult, but ironic considering the forum isn't operated by ISS).

Now that I'm upgrading at work, I checked again, same results as from home.

After updating, the Check for Updates link displays:

post-2634-1232990692_thumb.jpg

I don't think this is necessarily a bug with MEP, however it is confusing when the "CfU" option tells you your current build is the most up-to-date when, obviously, it is not.

Just wanted to pass this along to Kevin, Stan, et al. who might know (or be) the person that could fix this little quirk.

Steve,

Maybe I've misunderstood, but it looks to me as if that was just a temporary glitch (maybe a delay updating the site) and is now fixed. Your second screenshot shows that you are up to date with the latest version, 4.0.1.1, yes?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I haven't read this carefully but is it possible you had a cached page in your web browser?

Terry and Cory,

Nah it's not a cache issue... the first screenshot is taken from the IE window loaded when "Check for Update" is clicked from version 4.0.0.1 and the second screenshot is taken from the page loaded after updating.

It happened on my home computer last week when the update was first released, and again just before/during/after updating my work computer's instance.

Two different computers, several days apart, one running Vista Ultimate, the other running XP Professional (not that the OS would have anything to do with it).

The Check for Update link simply pulls up the web page dedicated to the MEP version running when the link is selected. They have, in fact, different URLs (which you can access directly through your browser URL field, too, if you want):

http://www.macros.com/upd/mepv4_0_0.htm

http://www.macros.com/upd/mepv4_0_1.htm

IMO the first one should be altered to direct the user to download the current version of MEP rather than saying it is the most up-to-date.

To be most concise:

When running version 4.0.0.1, the Check for Update opens "http://www.macros.com/upd/mepv4_0_0.htm" which indicates 4.0.0.1 is the most current.

When running version 4.0.1.1, the Check for Update opens "http://www.macros.com/upd/mepv4_0_1.htm" which indicates 4.0.1.1 is the most current.

...mepv4_0_0.htm needs to be edited to indicate 4.0.0.1 is out of date and direct the user to the downloads page to update their version.