Macro Express Forums

How to stop the running man?

I often have a macro running (Running Man Icon displayed in Tray) and just can´t stop it.

In MEX 3.X i simply rightclicked the icon. Not this nor the abortion hotkeys seem to work in MEX Pro!!!

Termination and Restarting is the only option for me. Can anybody confirm this? What can i do?

Thank You

Alexandra

I often have a macro running (Running Man Icon displayed in Tray) and just can´t stop it.

In MEX 3.X i simply rightclicked the icon. Not this nor the abortion hotkeys seem to work in MEX Pro!!!

Termination and Restarting is the only option for me. Can anybody confirm this? What can i do?

Try changing the hotkey for terminating the running macro, and pressing it instead of the default hotkey. (I have reassigned it to the "Pause" key.) This works reliably for me.

This problem was discussed at length in the beta forum and I believe at least once here. Generally the problem is that clicking Forrest (the running man) is only signaling MEP that you want to abort but that abort will not occur until the next command. IE if you have a command that's taking a long time you must wait.

I and others had suggested that Forrest be animated by MEP so we could see something was actively happening versus being hung.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, i don´t get this. I don´t have long commands. The macro just stucked. Just like in Mex 3.x. But there i was able to abort it. But not anymore. Reassigning the hotkey does not work for me. So do you have to terminate MEX PRO like me or what do you do?

What means "abort will not occur until the next command". I mean i don´t have long Delay commands or stuff like this. Right clicking forrest never had any effect!

Thank you

Alexandra

I currently have the running man icon in my task bar, but no macro is being executed. It's a minor glitch. I ran a macro, had to cancel it before it was finished running and was able to, but the running man didn't go away. I have since run other macros and the running man has changed his "mouse-over" text, but he is still there.

It's not affecting the performance of anything, but it is a little odd. And I'm concerned that it won't work to cancel a macro-in-process... but I'm not terribly worried.

You misunderstand me, what I say is accurate. You seem to think that the only time a command can take a long time is if you have a delay but almost any command has the potential to take a long time if something goes wrong. For instance you could have a command that reads the contents of a file into a variable. Should be instant, right? But what if that file is over a network and there is a network glitch, or a local file on a machine with a bad hard drive? My point is that even simple commands can take a long time to execute. And until MEP has finished that command it will not execute your request to abort.

I'm not trying to make excuses for MEP but rather trying to help you understand what's happening here. When you abort a macro and it takes a long time you can look to the preceding command as the culprit. Once you know the command you can understand and cure the problem. Also you can log all your command executions and see what command is hanging.

And in extreme cases when I do not want to wait I will terminate MEP from the task manager. Sometimes these command 'hangs' are due to a bug.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank You

Alexandra

So does anybody know if this bug has ever been reported officially? If so, can somebody provide the ticket number, please?

With the new version out, I was kind of hoping this would get taken care of. I used to think it wasn't a big deal, but with all my crashes lately, I'm starting to think there may be some correlation. At the very least, something is wrong, if the running-man doesn't go away after all macros have completed.

If there is no ticket number, I suppose I will start paying attention to just exactly when the icon gets stuck so I can start picking the culpable macros apart to make sure there isn't some odd command hanging it up, and then I'll report it myself.

So does anybody know if this bug has ever been reported officially? If so, can somebody provide the ticket number, please?

Two things. First off please read my thing about aborting macros not being realized until the next command is executed. Secondly if you have a problem with a macro hanging or MEP crashing Forrest is only a symptom of that problem. IE I think if Forrest is running in your tray you probably have another problem. And given the number of issues you have had here lately I think it's reasonable to assume you have bonked into some other problems. For the record I run MEP a lot and never have a problem with Forrest running on except in rare instances of a crash or a command hanging. I appreciate you have something wrong, I just think you're trying to treat a symptom, not the cause.