Macro Express Forums

Textbox displayed longer than macro?

However in some cases I use a web browser to display stuff and this will stay open until the user closes it. Just write the text to disk in the %temp% folder and launch in Internet Explorer. You can even delete the file while the browser is still up. Also you can launch IE in kiosk mode so you don't have all the toolbars and such. There are a few different command line parameters that can make the web browser window very small and simple. Notepad works well too.

However in some cases I use a web browser to display stuff and this will stay open until the user closes it. Just write the text to disk in the %temp% folder and launch in Internet Explorer. You can even delete the file while the browser is still up. Also you can launch IE in kiosk mode so you don't have all the toolbars and such. There are a few different command line parameters that can make the web browser window very small and simple. Notepad works well too.

Hey Cory,

This sounds interesting. And simple enough that a relative layman like myself might be able to make use of it. I just have a few questions:

• When saving it, I should save it as a .htm or .html file, correct?
  • How would I go about launching the file in Kiosk mode through ME?
  • Will this alter the way IE launches in general, or only the specific browser launched by ME?

Thanks!

Extension: It depends. Saving it with a TXT will cause the Web Site command to open it with Notepad or whatever is associated. But if you use the Program Launch and specify iexplore.exe and the path of a text file in the parameters field it will open in IE.

Kiosk mode: I should not have mentioned that in this case. Kiosk mode opens full screen with no title bar, toolbars or anything. Probably not useful in this case. But to answer your question use the command line switch -k in the parameters. There are other ways to create a web window with features like no menu or address bar (you see 'em in popups all the time) but that's more advanced than I think you want to get into right now. But search the web, there are instructions on how to command the browser.

Things like Kiosk mode are only per session and will not permanently affect your browser settings.

Oh, also one can use a program like IrfanView to display graphics this way. With it you can use command line arguments to disable most of the toolbars and such so one just sees the pic. It's sleazy but it works.