Macro Express Forums

MEP Issue Please Help!

I have a deadline to do some work with my Macros and I just converted everything from ME3 to MEP. I just plain doesn't work correctly for the most basic functions and it's going to prevent me from making my deadline unless you guys can help.

My macro loads a .CSV that starts very simply with last name, first name, middle initial. I execute the Macro and delay it by 4 seconds to allow time to load the .CSV (in ME3 I didn't delay it at all without issue). I then Textype (pastes) the last name in a field, tab, first name, tab, MI and hits enter. There are a bunch of steps later but I really need it to just do this before I worry about the latter.

I put the cursor in the Last Name field and kick it off using hot-keys. Upon which it may do these things:

-Simply ignore pasting the last name and skip to the next field, most common

-Skip the first name or middle initial field

-Simply not execute at all (Macro run indicator doesn't show in bottom right) until I close down all of MEP and reopen?!?! This is very common and I frequently cannot execute a script without closing MEP all the way down.

-Work as designed--this only happened the first time I ran it in MEP, it has not worked since

I run these on seven different computers by my desk and this doesn't work on any of them now. The code is identical to the code in ME3. If I try to see what variables are stored it will bring up the variable screen which immediately freezes on the middle of my screen without showing the variables, I have to force close MEP to get rid of it.

Any tips?!?!

Sorry if it sounds like I'm venting but I cannot imagine why MEP cannot do TEXT TYPE PASTE, TAB, TEXT TYPE PASTE, TAB, TEXT TYPE PASTE correctly more than once and I'm burning a ton of time.

This is my most basic script and would generally run for hours doing this hundreds of times in a row before with ME3, is there a difference in timing or some other component I need to change with this version? Thanks!

I have only scanned your post so forgive me if I didn't get it all but you sound desperate so I thought I would toss out something quick even though I am very busy myself.

MEP does a lot of things quicker than ME3, especially when it comes to text types and especially after activations. Essentially it starts typing before the last MEP dialog completely disappears. Experiment by injecting some time delays in between. I mean really slow it down to see what's going wrong then work back.

I had a ton of macros for a client which entered thousands of records in web forms and found this out immediately. I actually rewrote them to make my standard delays a variable so if I ever needed to I could change them in one place. Interestingly I thought the overall run time would be slower but in actuality they went quicker overall due to improvements in other places.

If you get into a real bind I am available for hire as well. It's hard but I have to limit how much time I spend here because I should be billing hours to pay the bills. But if you become a paying customer that changes everything and I make myself available by phone, remote control, video conference and everything to help you out. You can contact me at my web page if you're interested.

Thanks, I did try changing the script to have it type out the name with keystrokes and that looks promising. It slows my script to a screaming halt though. I got through about 18 fields and then it completely skipped pasting text into one of the fields...MEP will not work for me. The script editor screen itself is so slow that I can't reasonably stick with MEP until/unless it's patched.

MEP is a small enough program but if I click on a script to edit it, it seems like it's trying to load an Encyclopedia into memory or something and then it eventually brings the script up. My normal work computer is a little better but I need this to work on all of these computers.

I backed up all my ME3 scripts and will need to go with that again. I had revised the code in MEP to reflect system changes but will need to do that in ME3 now. However, the first part was identical in the two scripts which is why I left my question limited to that part.

I really wanted the new features but it seems to need more horsepower to run the same scripts that ran fine in ME3. I'll take one last look to see if there's a setting related to timing that won't require me to mass edit dozens of scripts. I like your idea of using the variable for timing though...great though!

This sort of problem is always very hard for anyone else to tackle without a soliid example. Can you adapt and post here a section of your macro code that we will be able to run, which behaves in the way you describe on your system?

Meanwhile, as a longshot, if your settings under Options > Preferences > Playback > Delay after keystrokes in the Text Type command is set to the default of 0, try changing that to 1000 microseconds.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

This sort of problem is always very hard for anyone else to tackle without a soliid example. Can you adapt and post here a section of your macro code that we will be able to run, which behaves in the way you describe on your system?

Meanwhile, as a longshot, if your settings under Options > Preferences > Playback > Delay after keystrokes in the Text Type command is set to the default of 0, try changing that to 1000 microseconds.

--

Terry, thanks for the response. I made the playback change from 300 (default) to 1000 microseconds. It pasted the T3 variable, Middle Initial into the Last, First and Middle name fields. I will try to paste the code for this part into the message after my meeting now.

Terry, thanks for the response. I made the playback change from 300 (default) to 1000 microseconds. It pasted the T3 variable, Middle Initial into the Last, First and Middle name fields. I will try to paste the code for this part into the message after my meeting now.

Here's the Macro code. I placed large delays between each of the first commands to try that again and it just continues to paste the Middle Name into all three fields. I'm just trying to do the steps up to T[3].

I have my ME3 files backed up somewhere and I will start the process of going backwards again which won't be much fun. I'll check here for any updates but I can seemingly delay for as long as I want and it still behaves randomly. The way MEP is programmed must create some system requirements that I wouldn't have figured. I'm still a big believer in ME as you can't get automation tools for this price anywhere, however, I'm disappointed that I can't execute these very simple commands in MEP. I appreciate all your help, I really do!

<REPEAT START Start="101" Step="1" Count="25" Save="TRUE" Variable="%N[1]%"/>

<KEYSTROKE SPEED Delay="400" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<MACRO PLAYBACK SPEED Speed="1" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<WINDOW ACTIVATE Title="person mgmt" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006"/>

<ASCII FILE BEGIN PROCESS Filename="H:\\ASYST MHTRN Plan\\Macro Express Testing\\All Data CSV.csv" Format="CSV" Start_Record="%N[1]%" Process_All="FALSE" Records="1" Variable="%T%" Start_Index="1"/>

<MULTIPLE CHOICE MENU Style="\x01" Result="\x01" Dest="%T[99]%" Title="Script Test" Prompt="The purpose of this is to allow testing of scripts by breaking it up into chunks." Options="12345678\r\n2345678\r\n345678\r\n45678\r\n5678\r\n678\r\n78\r\n8\r\n1\r\n2\r\n3\r\n4\r\n5\r\n6\r\n7\r\n8" Left="Center" Top="Center" Monitor="0" Width="582" Height="244" OnTop="FALSE" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="2"/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%T[99]%" Condition="\x06" Value="1" IgnoreCase="FALSE" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="4"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="1" Text="%T[1]%"/>

<COMMENT Value="Temporarily needed to add an \"s\" when building in MHBLD. Can get rid of this later." _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="s" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="1" Text="%T[2]%"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="1" Text="%T[3]%"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ENTER>"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="10"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALTD>a<ALTU>"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="3"/>

<MOUSE MOVE Option="\x02" X="27" Y="114" _PROMPT="0x000A"/>

<MOUSE LEFT CLICK/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="%T[4]%<TAB><ENTER>"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="3"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><ARROW DOWN><ARROW DOWN><ARROW DOWN><TAB><ENTER>"/>

<END IF _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%T[99]%" Condition="\x06" Value="2" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>%T[5]%<TAB>%T[6]%"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="1"/>

<END IF/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%T[99]%" Condition="\x06" Value="3" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<COMMENT Value="Mailing Address Screen" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="1" Text="%T[10]%" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="1" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB>" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="1" Text="usa" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="2" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>%T[11]%" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="2" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<COMMENT Value="needed to updated the phone to add 507 back in, spreadsheet is updated but CSV isn't so will need to remove 507 once change is made in both." _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>507%T[12]%" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>%T[13]%" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB>%T[27]%" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<COMMENT Value="Screen check" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<GET PIXEL COLOR Option="\x01" Rel_To_Screen="TRUE" X="600" Y="645" Destination="%N[3]%" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%N[3]%" Condition="\x01" Value="65412" IgnoreCase="FALSE" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<PAUSE Flags="\x00" Left="CENTER" Top="CENTER" Monitor="0" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<END IF _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<COMMENT Value="Screen check" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALTD>e<ALTU>"/>

<END IF/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%T[99]%" Condition="\x06" Value="4" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<COMMENT Value="Encounter Screen"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB>%T[16]%"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>c"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB>%T[17]%" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB>%T[18]%"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB>"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="1" Text="%T[19]%"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB>"/>

<COMMENT Value="Temporarily needed to use test, provider because \"test, provider md\" does not exist in the domain. May have to permanently make this change at a later date."/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="test, provider"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="1" Text="%T[20]%" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALTD>g<ALTU>"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="7"/>

<END IF/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%T[99]%" Condition="\x06" Value="5" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<COMMENT Value="Guarantor Screen"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>%T[21]%"/>

<COMMENT Value="The enter below is needed for a popup in the event the person is a minor"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="5"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALTD>p<ALTU>"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="7"/>

<END IF/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%T[99]%" Condition="\x06" Value="6" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<COMMENT Value="Primary Insurance Screen"/>

<MACRO PLAYBACK SPEED Speed="1"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="2599"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="%T[22]%"/>

<KEYSTROKE SPEED Delay="500"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="2224"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="%T[14]%"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="3869"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="1487"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="1942"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="%T[15]%"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="500"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="1690"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<DOWN ARROW>"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="0752"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="4000"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="4000"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="1629"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="2256"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALTD>p<ALTU>"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="1500"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="1" Text="%T[23]%"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="1628"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="1081"/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>"/>

<COMMENT Value="Screen check"/>

<GET PIXEL COLOR Option="\x01" Rel_To_Screen="TRUE" X="466" Y="643" Destination="%N[4]%"/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%N[4]%" Condition="\x01" Value="65412" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<PAUSE Flags="\x10" Left="CENTER" Top="CENTER" Monitor="0"/>

<END IF/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="1" Text="%T[25]%"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="1581"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="0501"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="0485"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="0454"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="0955"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="0453"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="1425"/>

<GET PIXEL COLOR Option="\x01" Rel_To_Screen="TRUE" X="460" Y="645" Destination="%N[6]%"/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%N[6]%" Condition="\x01" Value="65412" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<PAUSE Flags="\x10" Left="CENTER" Top="CENTER" Monitor="0"/>

<END IF/>

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="%T[26]%"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="4786"/>

<MOUSE MOVE Option="\x01" X="887" Y="704" _PROMPT="0x000A"/>

<MOUSE LEFT BUTTON DOWN/>

<MOUSE LEFT BUTTON UP/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="3868"/>

<END IF/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%T[99]%" Condition="\x06" Value="7" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<GET PIXEL COLOR Option="\x01" Rel_To_Screen="FALSE" X="41" Y="146" Destination="%N[5]%"/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%N[5]%" Condition="\x01" Value="16777215" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<PAUSE Flags="\x00" Left="CENTER" Top="CENTER" Monitor="0"/>

<END IF/>

<MOUSE MOVE Option="\x02" X="21" Y="55" _PROMPT="0x000A"/>

<MOUSE LEFT BUTTON DOWN/>

<MOUSE LEFT BUTTON UP/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="0813"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="3196"/>

<END IF/>

<IF VARIABLE Variable="%T[99]%" Condition="\x06" Value="8" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>

<END IF/>

<ASCII FILE END PROCESS/>

<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="15"/>

<END REPEAT/>

I'm up and running on ME3 and the Macro's are going on three computers for over an hour without issue now so that's good. I think these older computers just need to be trashed. They are a lot better than the system requirements listed on the website though. Do they really think MEP can run on the memory and processor minimum requirements below?

Pentium or equivalent or greater

Windows 7, 2008, Vista, 2003, XP, 2000 (64 bit and 32 bit versions)

56 MB free hard disk space

Minimum 256 MB RAM

Cory's comments are interesting, concerning MEP being faster at a lot of things. Even with ME3 I have found that timing is the biggest issue by far in getting macros to run properly with multiple computers, different network and server delays, and so on. Ironically, the faster the computer, the greater the problems especially with a web-based or server-database application where the application doesn't necessarily keep up with ME's typing speed. Think about your own manual interaction with the computer -- sometimes you have instantaneous response time, next time the same interaction may hang for several seconds. The most useful ME statements I have found, for these cases, are (1) keystroke speed, (2) mouse speed, (3) wait for text playback, and (4) delay 100 ms. Unfortunately you sometimes wind up programming for the lowest common denominator; that is, slowing everybody down to satisfy the worst case.

Here's the Macro code....

I'd have been happy to look at a short adapted section, with documentation on what it's supposed to do, but that looks like the entire macro you've posted, with neither adaptation nor documentation!

It quickly became clear that there are too many unknowns to even make a stab at trying to reproduce your described problem. For a start, what is the content of H:\ASYST MHTRN Plan\Macro Express Testing\All Data CSV.csv? What is your window 'personal mgmt'? Why are you starting processing at record %N[1]%? What is expected result? Etc

And even if all that was clear, it would be very unlikely anyone could run the macro as intended because of all the pixel colour tests.

But I see you're up and running with ME3 again, so at least you might be able to relax over your deadline issue. ;)

--

I'm up and running on ME3 and the Macro's are going on three computers for over an hour without issue now so that's good. I think these older computers just need to be trashed. They are a lot better than the system requirements listed on the website though. Do they really think MEP can run on the memory and processor minimum requirements below?

Pentium or equivalent or greater

Windows 7, 2008, Vista, 2003, XP, 2000 (64 bit and 32 bit versions)

56 MB free hard disk space

Minimum 256 MB RAM

Yeah..... No. Even in W2K you need 512MB of RAM. I have a few old systems at clients that were running W2K and 256 but that's not enough. However with 512 they work fine. I think they're saying that the RAM minimum is for the oldest OS. I dnot' think Vista will even install on 256. Also what is needed to run the OS is X amount of RAM and often what is quoted. If you want to run applications like office it's 2X. If you want to run many apps at the same time or do things like video editing it 4-8X. Personally I believe Vista with just a couple of simple office apps needs 2GB. But what I will say is that MEP requires very little RAM and CPU. But if you're manipulating an application like Excel, Excel requires a lot of resources.

If you are using the clipboard you need to add a delay after all clipboard operations in Excel, IE and other similar places. Personally I find about 200mS sufficient in most. One thing that MEP does differently is it is much more involved in clipboard operations which is a benefit at the expense that it takes a little more time. Also Excel itself does not simply accept pasting operations but rather it processes them which takes time. EG it will take a string 9/25/2009 and actually convert it to a formatted date value. Don't believe me? Paste the string "9/25" from the notepad into Excel. Notice it's no longer 9/25 but rather "25-Sep"? Now change the format to number and notice how it's 40081, the serial date value for today. My point is that it takes a little time for Excel to do this and it might not be ready for the next paste or arrow. BTW for short bits of string I find it better to Text Type. If it's going to be like 20 characters long or more I will paste, otherwise I type. Especially in web forms.

Jason if you are inputing blocks of cells into Excel consider building the blocks in a MEP variable first. When you copy/paste from Excel it's essentially a tab separated values file format. So lets say I want to paste in two lines of text for two people and their account numbers. In MEP create an output variable and append to it to build something like "Cory<tab>Jackson<tab>123456<cr><lf>Ted<tab>Jones<tab>98765<cr><lf>" and paste that in. You just need to create variables for the non-printing characters tab, carriage return, and line feed. Now you entered 6 cells of information in one paste operation and the building of the output was instantaneous. If you are interested in how to do this just let me know and I'd be happy to do a demo.

Jason,

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but in recent builds of MEP the Paste functions when called by a macro (either clipboard paste, or Text Type: Use clipboard to paste), do not work 100% of the time. Closer to about 50%, if that. I've had to change all my TextTypes to "Simulate keystrokes" or build self-check repeat-loops to make sure the pasted info is actually pasting.

It's a pain in the butt, and I originally attributed it to my PoS work-computer, but pasting works fine when done in ME3 or when I manually do Ctrl+V

I have not ever reported it as an official bug, because I just don't know what info to give the folks at ISS, and because my MEP at home works 100% whenever I've built macros to test it.

<shrug>

... in recent builds of MEP the Paste functions when called by a macro (either clipboard paste, or Text Type: Use clipboard to paste), do not work 100% of the time. Closer to about 50% ... pasting works fine when done in ME3 or when I manually do Ctrl+V

Even with ME3 I have found "Text Type: Use Clipboard" to be very unreliable. Often the target field winds up with only the letter "v" in it. I have found it very reliable to save a text variable into the clipboard, then <CTRLD>v<CTRLU> followed by Wait for Text Playback.

Thanks for all your tips guys! I'm sure with enough time I could make MEP work but I don't have time to update every script to make necessary adjustments from ME3. As I've posted above, even with like 2 second delays the clipboard paste just doesn't work on the seven computers I use.

I apologize if I didn't paste all additional information for my script, I thought you just wanted to see it. I was simply running the very first part of the script that loads a .csv with Last Name, First Name and Middle Name (and other fields but not relevent for this issue noted). The commands are fine as it works in ME3 so I didn't feel anybody needed to re-run it. Besides, you wouldn't be able to replicate the system I'm entering it into anyway.

Thanks again!

Jason

Even with ME3 I have found "Text Type: Use Clipboard" to be very unreliable. Often the target field winds up with only the letter "v" in it. I have found it very reliable to save a text variable into the clipboard, then <CTRLD>v<CTRLU> followed by Wait for Text Playback.
This is a good suggestion. By not using a MEP Clipboard command you are avoiding all the extra stuff MEP does to monitor for clipboard changes and such. However I believe that what ISS has added makes the clipboard more reliable. After all MEP doesn't control the other applications or the clipboard so if Windows or the other application is taking awhile it's good that MEP tries to sense the changes better for better flow control. Maybe it just needs a little tweaking though.