Macro Express Forums

Entering an array index?

How are you supposed to enter an array index in this dialog? My current clunky method is to enter a nominal '1' and then later change it to my required integer variable, such as %OriginalPosition%. Is there a better way please?

MEP-ArrayIndex.jpg

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

When I don't use arrays, I just type in the name of the variable, without the percentage signs. When I "OK" the dialog box, the variable name is wrapped with percentage signs.

It seems to me that this is a design flaw. You should be able to pop-up the list of Integer variables at this stage.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

It seems to me that this is a design flaw. You should be able to pop-up the list of Integer variables at this stage.
This has been discussed before in the forum and we all agree it's a little unintuitive. But for the record I do what you do. Type "1" then fix it. Alan's suggestion is sound as well and most advanced guys I know type the variables instead of using the picker. I like using the picker though because I'm prone to typographical errors. Also if I mistakenly define a variable with the wrong type or try to use the wrong type of variable in a field I can catch my mistake. It ends up being more efficient for me.