Macro Express Forums

Activating a macro

I tried this, but gave up due to system instability. But if you want to try, avoid these three approaches that caused more problems than they solved.

1. I created a macro activated when window title " - " opens. Many, although not all, windows have this three-character string (space hyphen space) somewhere in the title bar.

As I enter this message on this forum, I notice that the title bar actually has two occurrences:

Activating a macro - Macro Express Forums - Mozilla Firefox

This approach doesn't work on windows or dialog boxes that have titles like these: "Find and Replace," "Downloads," "Warning!", etc.

2. I created 26 macros activated by window title. Each was activated by a different letter of the alphabet: "a," "b", etc.

3. A simplification of this was to create six macros, each activated by a vowel. I don't think I have ever seen a title bar in English that does not contain at least one vowel.

3. A simplification of this was to create six macros, each activated by a vowel. I don't think I have ever seen a title bar in English that does not contain at least one vowel.

Rare possible examples like 'Try my Sky' or 'My Sky+' come to mind, but if you added 'y' that should cover it!

That sounds a practical solution to me. Was there a problem with it?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I just tried creating six macros, each activated by one of the vowels. I could not figure out a way to prevent the other macros from firing when the title contained more than one vowel. For example, this script, called "A in title", is typical:

Lock Player

Macro Disable: E in title
Macro Disable: I in title
Macro Disable: O in title
Macro Disable: U in title
Macro Disable: Y in title

Variable Set From Misc:  "Name of Current Macro" into %MacroName%
Text Box Display: %MacroName%

Macro Enable: E in title
Macro Enable: I in title
Macro Enable: O in title
Macro Enable: U in title
Macro Enable: Y in title

Unlock Player

Generally when I hear of people trying to do off-the-wall things like this I find that after review of what they're trying to accomplish their fundamental premise was flawed and there was a much better way. You might tell us what it is you're trying to do and we could make suggestions. That is if your mind is open to new ideas to solve your problems.

But I was wondering also if there might be a sleazy way to do it with Windows Controls. Have to think on that one...