Macro Express Forums

Hotkey puzzle

In W7 Win+b activates the system tray icons. So your problem is that when you try to enter it it’s activating and changing focus to the system tray and MEP form never ‘hears’ your keystroke. You can still select it form the list but I think you will have a conflict.

Thanks Cory. I have XP, not Win 7, but I'll check whether that also reserves this hotkey when I get back to my PC in the morning. It wasn't listed in XP > Help > KB shortcuts.

I was looking for an easily remembered hotkey to globally launch my file 'Books to read.txt', but have settled for Win+J instead.

--

Terry, Uk

Terry I told you it can't be done in W7. Win+b is the hotkey for System Tray. And I just checked on one of my XP machines and it's the same way there. And why would you want to use a hotkey that's already in use by Windows? I think it's going to cause you problems.

And why would you want to use a hotkey that's already in use by Windows? I think it's going to cause you problems.

I suggest approaching key remapping decisions case-by-case. Sometimes overwriting a built-in hotkey causes problems, and sometimes not. I suggest trying. If there are unintended side effects, it's easy to fix.

Thanks Alan. As mentioned, I've now assigned Win+J, so it's merely curiosity. I'll check again when I get back home to my XP PC (this comes from my iPad), but as I said I saw no reference to Win+B in XP Help > Keyboard shortcuts etc, nor did using Win+B appear to do anything obvious. But then at that stage I wasn't focusing on the Sys Tray, so maybe I missed something.

--

Terry, UK

Doooooode! Why is it so hard for you to believe me? Right now I hit the HotKey and my McAfee AV Icon is highlighted and in a second or two a balloon pops up on it. What's more I can arrow left and right to highlight other system tray icons. And if I arrow over to MEP and hit enter the default macro executes the same as clicking on the icon with the mouse. It seems you would rather believe what's written in some Windows Reference as opposed to what you can functionally see. I've tried it on XP, 2003 Server, 2008 Server, Vista, and W7. Just accept that it's a Windows shortcut key for the System Tray.

Doooooode! Why is it so hard for you to believe me? Right now I hit the HotKey and my McAfee AV Icon is highlighted and in a second or two a balloon pops up on it. What's more I can arrow left and right to highlight other system tray icons. And if I arrow over to MEP and hit enter the default macro executes the same as clicking on the icon with the mouse. It seems you would rather believe what's written in some Windows Reference as opposed to what you can functionally see. I've tried it on XP, 2003 Server, 2008 Server, Vista, and W7. Just accept that it's a Windows shortcut key for the System Tray.

Eh?

QUOTE:

"I'll check again when I get back home to my XP PC (this comes from my iPad), but as I said I saw no reference to Win+B in XP Help > Keyboard shortcuts etc, nor did using Win+B appear to do anything obvious. But then at that stage I wasn't focusing on the Sys Tray, so maybe I missed something."

I did so, and I had missed it, and XP does behave as you say. Not particularly obvious unless you're looking for it.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Agreed. Not completely obvious. I didn't know about this Windows feature either but when my MEP window lost focus I knew the focus had to have gone someplace else and a quick tab highlighted the new focus. Cool feature actually. I'm glad I found it. And you're right about it not being documented in most references. But if they documented everythign we wouldn't have all those "Windows Secrets" books ;)