Macro Express Forums

Command line: Can I specify target folder?

Hi,

A very handy program - thanks for making a free version available! :)

One snag I seem to have. Suppose I want to list files in say C:\xyz. After studying Help, it seems that if I want to do that from the command line then I must first use DL in normal UI mode and save that directory as a DLS file? Is there really no way to specify the target folder directly in the command line syntax please?

IOW, I want the command to be something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Directory Lister\DirLister.exe" /l C:\xyz C:\Docs\xyz.txt /o "C:\Program Files\Directory Lister\File only.dlc"

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

You can make directory and file lists with MEP too. I have a few of them running around here. I would be interested in what it's 'doing' for you. I avoid being dependent on third party apps for professional stuff. But for personal use it's often a good alternative. Oh, I've written a few very fast directory listers in VB.NET too. Their DirectoryInfo and FileInfo classes are great for this. The one thing bad about MEP is they can be a little slow if you're scrutinizing attributes and such.

Terry, wrong forum perhaps?

Yes indeed, Samrae - don't know how I managed that! I'd better post it again in the Directory Lister Forum.

It's odd too that I already replied to your post last night, from my iPad, yet it hasn't shown up here.

You can make directory and file lists with MEP too. I have a few of them running around here. I would be interested in what it's 'doing' for you. I avoid being dependent on third party apps for professional stuff. But for personal use it's often a good alternative. Oh, I've written a few very fast directory listers in VB.NET too. Their DirectoryInfo and FileInfo classes are great for this. The one thing bad about MEP is they can be a little slow if you're scrutinizing attributes and such.

Directory Lister (DL), has proved quite useful a few times. This time I wanted a macro that would step through a large folder of images (JPG, PNG, BMP, but with a few thumbnail and text files interspersed) and extract a report showing those taken within a few seconds of each other, these being candidates for stitching as panoramas for a holiday DVD. (I'd tired of doing this manually on previous occasions, and anyway I fancied the challenge!)

I found the task much easier by first preparing a list of just the filenames with DL. Haven't yet finished the full macro yet though...

Not sure where I got my freeware version but here's one source:

http://download.cnet.com/Directory-Lister/3000-2248_4-10397036.html

There's also a Pro version on the author's site:

http://www.krksoft.com/ which also hosts the forum in which I'd intended to post my query.

--

Well I'm pretty sure it could be done without Directory Lister. But if it works, it works!

I was impressed by Google+ Photos (Picasa) and how when I hurriedly uploaded some vacation pix before proofing how it detected sequential and panoramic shots and automatically stitched them together.

I finished the macro and it did what it was supposed to do - but I won't be bothering to use it again. I looked for intervals under 6 seconds between photos and got far too many results that were not panorama candidates. On reflection not surprising, because on a long distance walk when I pause to get my camera out I'll often take several shots in succession, and the intervals will often be under that 6 seconds. But I can't reduce it significantly because I do take 2- 6 seconds between shots that are intended as panoramas, carefully ensuring the horizon or whatever is aligned reasonably well between each, getting the right angle and overlap, etc.

So I'm back to visual inspection!

Writing it was fun though. Took me all day. The trickiest part was stepping through pairs of values (file name prefixes like those in my other thread, 20131022-123456 etc). I'd never done that before and had several dead ends so it was satisfying to get it right eventually.

--------------------

I was fascinated to hear about Picasa's apparent ability to detect panoramas. I have the program (not sure if it's up to date) but don't use it a lot. I really like many of its features but I've never become comfortable with navigating and managing its unique, unconventional approach to folders/trees/albums/etc. Guess I'm too steeped in Windows Explorer!

But as soon as I get some time I'm going to try it.

--