Macro Express Forums

Copy macro and its activation

I'm experimenting with MEP as a simple alarm tool. So I'd like to be able to quickly copy an existing scheduled macro (basically a template) and merely change its text message and initial start time. Copy Macro... doesn't offer an option to copy the activation. That would be handy for a scheduled macro as there are several configuring steps that I want to remain constant. Anyone know a quicker approach than my current method, which does copy the activation, namely exporting the original aa an MEX and re-importing it?

Hi Terry,

I developed a script that cloned a template macro, opened the clone, modified it, and then created folders in Windows Explorer and Outlook.

The project began when I noticed that I was spending an inordinate amount of time copying a template macro, manually adjusting it, and then setting up folders. I was motivated to automate the process, as the process took four or five minutes manually, and was boring and error-prone.

The script turned into a major undertaking. It was exceedingly complex: the script mostly manipulated the Macro Express user interface to copy a macro, rename it, open it, and modify it. I spent weeks tweaking before the script became reliable enough to be useful.

To keep it humming, I needed to stick to strict naming conventions in Macro Express, Windows Explorer, and Microsoft Outlook.

The macro executed in about 30 seconds, so eight or ten times faster than performing the steps manually. So there were significant time and energy savings.

Back to your question... it's probably do-able by creating a MEP script to manipulate the MEP user interface. But it may take persistence to get the script to work reliably.

Hi Alan,

Thanks, yes, I was thinking of perhaps just automating the export and import approach. But I'll first try directly manipulating the MEP UI and see what snags arise.

I already have quite a few entries in the 'Macro Express' category although maybe only 20% of them get used regularly. In fact on checking just now there are a few I'd forgotten I'd written!

Drifting OT, I'd abandon this project altogether if anyone can recommend a 100% reliable alarm app for the PC that's a no-brainer to use. And if it could sync to the iOS Calendar and/or Reminder app on my iPhone and Pad that would be brilliant. In theory, the iOS app on the PC is supposed to sync, but I've never succeeded in getting it to do so.

Siri/Cortana/OK Google. ?

It took me a long time to adopt. But it's so nice to be able to say "Remind me to check the sprinklers this afternoon" and it just does it. Or "Remind me when I go to the store next time to get milk". 

3 hours ago, Cory said:

Siri/Cortana/OK Google. ?

It took me a long time to adopt. But it's so nice to be able to say "Remind me to check the sprinklers this afternoon" and it just does it. Or "Remind me when I go to the store next time to get milk". 

Agreed, it’s very clever.  But what about the PC? I want to be able to enter a reminder in iPhone, iPad or PC and have it work on all three computers. So if say I’m absorbed in writing a macro or editing a  video on my PC, I’ll always get an audio and text reminder. Or if I enter it on my PC and I’m out with my iPhone, ditto.

I don't know about iOS, not a fan of the Apple world, but you can install Cortana on your smartphone. You can even respond to text messages on your computer and many more things. Forgot that file at home on your PC? Have Cortana get it form your PC. I see the Cortana app is available in the Apple store. There may be a way to extend Siri into Win10 too. And Google Assistant I think works on all platforms. Surely such an advanced company as Apple has considered it's users that also have PCs and have something for you. Google and Windows have. I know I get all my Google reminders on my workstation, laptop, phone, and tablet. Oh! here's one now. Time to preheat the oven for dinner. 

What you want is not a unique idea. It has been done on almost every platform. Do the research and see which works best for you. I'll bet you a 6 pack of beer it can be done with what already exists. 

Thanks Cory, I'm sure you're right although so far I haven't found the right solution, despite a fair amount of searching.

I overcame my antipathy to Apple stuff some years ago. (A gift from my son was a factor!) Although I still resent the file inaccessibility and proprietary aspects I'm now committed to my iPhone and iPad for mobile use.

I have iOS Calendar and Reminders on my PC and they sync to some extent. But I've been consistently unable to get a reminder or calendar event to pop-up its message (even silently) on my PC when due. Hence my exploration of a DIY approach with MEP.