Macro Express Forums

Not selecting type

MEnewb1143

It looks like you are trying to grab the top bar of a window, and slide the window to a different location on the screen???

Instead of your first command being "Mouse Move Window 40, 705" I would expect to see something like "Mouse Move Window 40, 5". A y-coordinate of 705 would put the mouse way down toward the bottom of most windows. Maybe you are getting mixed up between mouse position relative to the SCREEN, and relative to the WINDOW. Be sure to click the correct radio button when scripting the mouse move commands.

Another way to move a window is with the Window Reposition command.

I'll post the entire code as that 'may' have something to do with it.

Activate Window: "<window name>"
Mouse Move Window 40, 705
House Left Button Down
 Mouse Speed: 250 Miliseconds(Doesn't seem to help the problem)
 Mouse Move Window 10, 510
Mouse Left Button Up
Variable Set String %T1% from File: "copy.txt"
Activate Window: "%T1%"
Text Type: <ALTD>r<ALTU><CTRLD>v<CTRLU>

The main issue is that it's not selecting! :( This works every so often, but as in just about all uses of a macro, I'm trying to save time. :)

Thanks

Try something like this:

Delay 0.1 Seconds
Mouse Left Button Down
 Delay 0.1 Seconds
Mouse Left Button Up
Delay 0.1 Seconds
Delay 0.1 Seconds

If it works then optimize it by reducing or removing the various delays.

Here's my thinking. I've got delay's all over the place and it doesn't seem to improve anything. I'm thinking that even though the mouse pointer is at the right spot and the left button is held down the next line in the macro is to INSTANTLY move up left. I'm thinking it doesn't like that. Is there a way to move the mouse from point 'a' to point 'b' over 0.2 seconds?

Thanks

Unfortunately this window is used a lot, so type is scrolled by with each use. A select all would be a LOT after a few minutes. Even if that was a possibitly, you can't. :( Only the mouse, that I know of, can select the type. I can do this manualy, no problem! It's just "Mouse down, move, Mouse up" doesn't seem to select the type, even though that's exactly what I'm doing. :/

Thanks

Here is how I wrote the macro. It has worked every time I tried it. You may want to bump the milliseconds to 500 or more. With a larger number you should be able to see the mouse move to the first location and then to the second.

Activate Window: "notepad"
Wait For Window Title: "notepad"
Mouse Speed: 250 Milliseconds
Mouse Left Button Down
Mouse Left Button Up

I'll post the entire code as that 'may' have something to do with it.

House Left Button Down
 Mouse Speed: 250 Miliseconds(Doesn't seem to help the problem)
Mouse Left Button Up

The main issue is that it's not selecting! :( This works every so often, but as in just about all uses of a macro, I'm trying to save time. :)

Thanks

Where is the command for doing the 'selecting'?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

The "selecting" is the mouse highlighting the text in specific coordinates.

OK, thanks Stan, I should have been clearer. I meant 'Where is the command(s) that is doing the copying of the selection?'. I didn't see it in the OP's macro extract. He doesn't identify the target window, so it's not fully clear to me what he's doing. Is it a text-based program (like Notepad, or the example I used, TextPad)? A web page? A program with mixture of text and graphics (and the possibility that the mouse is selecting non-text)? Etc. I would typically follow such a mouse-drag selection with a Copy, to get the text to the clipboard...

BTW, both your and Kevin's examples work fine here. I use that sort of command set quite often. In fact, yours works for me without the Mouse Speed command. If I include it, then speeds as low as 1 ms work OK. But I normally use Kevin's approach, i.e. with brief delays (typically 100 ms).

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Have you tried highlighting the text by doing a mouse left button click at the beginning of the text, then SHIFT DOWN and ARROW DOWN(S) and ARROW RIGHT(S) followed by SHIFT UP?

Try it manually, and if it works then you can turn it into a macro. When I do the mouse click (in this forum, for example) there is no indication on-screen that the cursor has been placed there, but the subsequent highlighting keystrokes start from that position.

Mouse Move Window 40, 704

Delay 100 Milliseconds

Mouse Left Button Down

Activate Window. "Window name"

Mouse Move Window 39, 702

Delay 100 Milliseconds

Mouse Move Window 38, 699

Delay 100 Milliseconds

Mouse Move Window 37, 697

Delay 100 Milliseconds

Mouse Move Window 36, 695

Delay 100 Milliseconds

and so on, might be a hassle but can help in finding the cause to the problem and then being able to speed it up.

Mouse Move to beginning of text

Mouse Left Button Down

Mouse Move to end of text

Mouse Left Button Up

works fine to highlight text in the posting above this one in this forum. No delays needed. So I'm guessing there is something unusual about the window you are trying to select from.

I think you said this works some of the time, just doesn't work reliably. I have noticed, when manually highlighting text with a mouse, especially on a web page, that the mouse has to be in exactly the right place when I press down the left button and start to drag the mouse. Perhaps the positioning is just right on the few times that it does work, and not the other times? For example, I said the above four-line macro worked on postings in this forum. But a slight shift in the screen, scrolling down just a single line, changes the highlighting so I no longer pick up the first character of the first line. Windows doesn't render the screen in exactly the same way from one time to the next.

For some reason, this doesn't work.

Mouse Left Button Down
Mouse Left Button Up

Seems basic enough. Any ideas? Need some delays in there?

Thanks!

What about

Mouse Left Button Down

hit the END or HOME button

Mouse Left Button Up