Window Title Activation not working

The following simple macro should display a message as soon as this window

StilettoProblem-1.jpg

is opened

Text Box Display:

Window Close: : Entry Point Not Found

Delay: 100 milliseconds

Macro Return

But it doesn't work. The macro doesn't get run at all. I tried alternative Window Title options like Window Gains Focus, etc, but none work.

If I make the activation another window, like my text editor etc, it works correctly. It's therefore presumably something to do with this obscure window itself. So a few background comments might prove relevant. It's some sort of conflict that arises with my power utility, Stiletto, and a few other programs. In particular, it consistently appears when I click any menu item (e.g. Tools, Help, etc) in Internet Explorer (v6 and v7).

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

[Off-topic]

Is the Stiletto displayed in your example the same product that was a precursor to PowerPro?

Yes.

If so, what are the advantages of the older Stiletto over the newer PowerPro?

Minimal installing, converting, re-configuring and re-learning effort! In truth, I tried to upgrade at the time PowerPro replaced Stiletto but ran into all kinds of problems getting it to work smoothly on many of my existing routines. So I abandoned the attempt and reconciled myself to continuing with Stiletto, even though its author Bruce Switzer no longer supported it.

Do you have any idea what might be causing that strange message please?

---------

BTW, returning on topic, I had no response from you to my question 11 days ago in Post #16 of http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3568

--

I have some problems with version 3 window activation macros that have always worked but not in version 4. Typically, they refuse to work intitially, but the macros are triggered when I ALT-TAB to another application or the desktop and back to the triggering window. Not all window activation macros fail however. In some applications they consistently fail, in others, they consistently work.

I have some problems with version 3 window activation macros that have always worked but not in version 4. Typically, they refuse to work intitially, but the macros are triggered when I ALT-TAB to another application or the desktop and back to the triggering window. Not all window activation macros fail however. In some applications they consistently fail, in others, they consistently work.

That summarises exactly what I'm seeing here.

Kevin: I did about a dozen further tests covering activation of all 4 options of Window Title. About three quarters proved erratic.

--

Do you have any idea what might be causing that strange message please?

No, I can't help you there. But, knowing Powerpro a little, I'd bet that these windows are unusual in some way!

BTW, returning on topic, I had no response from you to my question 11 days ago in Post #16 of http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3568

My apologies - I missed that one (I'd been away, and was faced with reading several thousand emails, and several hundred forum messages from various sources!).

I'll prepare something for you this weekend.

No, I can't help you there. But, knowing Powerpro a little, I'd bet that these windows are unusual in some way!

My apologies - I missed that one (I'd been away, and was faced with reading several thousand emails, and several hundred forum messages from various sources!).

Thanks Paul.

Going OT again for a minute, I'm pleased to report that I seem to have fixed that Stiletto message. I thought I'd focus on the file it implicated, PSAPI.DLL. I found several versions of it elsewhere, more recent than that in \Program Files\Stiletto. I copied one across from \Windows\System32 - and so far have had no more of those error messages! ;)

--

Any chance you could post or upload it please? I'd be very interested in studying your approach, although I'm committed to ME Pro now.

Oops! Once I started looking at the source code (it's complex, using at least 7 other macros), I now find that some of the macros it calls are part of our PGM Library, which means I am not at liberty to release it. My apologies for leading you up the garden path!

Oops! Once I started looking at the source code (it's complex, using at least 7 other macros), I now find that some of the macros it calls are part of our PGM Library, which means I am not at liberty to release it. My apologies for leading you up the garden path!

OK Paul, understood, no problem.

--

• 4 weeks later...
That summarises exactly what I'm seeing here.

Kevin: I did about a dozen further tests covering activation of all 4 options of Window Title. About three quarters proved erratic.

After I installed 4.0.2.1, Window Title Activation seemed to be working again... but a few days later, I noticed that many of the macros had stopped working, and in fact, none are working now, including new ones that I create. So it's gone from erratic to nothing.

As before, the macros will activate if I Alt + Tab away from the window, and then Alt + Tab again to give the window focus a second time.

• 4 weeks later...

I reported this as a bug, and received the following message today:

Issue [iSS6780] submitted by you has been resolved. The change will be available with the next release of Macro Express Pro.

Description of issue [iSS6780]:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Macro Express Pro - Window title activation fails sporadically the first time a window appears.

Window title activation fails sporadically the first time a window appears.

For example, a macro activated by "XXX" fails when XXX first opens, but works after focus is given to another window, and then returned to XXX.

I reported this as a bug, and received the following message today:

Issue [iSS6780] submitted by you has been resolved. The change will be available with the next release of Macro Express Pro.

Description of issue [iSS6780]:

Macro Express Pro - Window title activation fails sporadically the first time a window appears.

Window title activation fails sporadically the first time a window appears.

For example, a macro activated by "XXX" fails when XXX first opens, but works after focus is given to another window, and then returned to XXX.

Good to hear it, thank you.

--