Macro Express Forums

Hotkeys not working

I have just started to observe some strange behaviour, where hotkeys often don't work until I click on the ME icon in my tray. For example, I place my Windows 7 computer in Standby by pressing Ctrl-Shift-2. I've done this for years. But sometimes nothing happens - the macro is not being activated. Once I click on the ME tray icon, all is well again. This doesn't happen all the time.

Any ideas?

I've not seen that, Paul. The only similar thing I have experienced is that after being idle for a long time, not running and macros, the first macro execution is delayed a few seconds to as long as several seconds.

On 7/17/2019 at 1:55 AM, Cory said:

I've not seen that, Paul. The only similar thing I have experienced is that after being idle for a long time, not running and macros, the first macro execution is delayed a few seconds to as long as several seconds.

No, it's definitely not that behaviour. I've tried waiting 2 minutes, to no avail. And ME is not idle for a long time - often no longer than several minutes. But I thank you for your suggestions.

13 hours ago, kunkel321 said:

Did you inadvertently turn off the "auto-reset mouse and keyboard hooks" preference option? 

Great sugggestion! Yes, it was off (if its default is ON, then I have no idea how it got turned off since I've not been anywhere near that page of settings since the initial installation). Time will tell whether setting this ON has solved the problem, but I suspect you've found the solution. Many thanks.

4 hours ago, paul said:

Great sugggestion! Yes, it was off (if its default is ON, then I have no idea how it got turned off since I've not been anywhere near that page of settings since the initial installation). Time will tell whether setting this ON has solved the problem, but I suspect you've found the solution. Many thanks.

Unfortunately, turning this setting ON has made no difference.

I have just experienced the problem again. I did something different this time - I simply opened and closed an AutoIt editing window - which fixed the problem.

This suggests to me a system wide problem with my OS, and almost certainly nothing to do with ME.

Hi Paul,

I’ve learned to live with a few annoying but so far inexplicable issues with ME on my Win 10 Pro PC. One consistent example is an obscure conflict between ME and my ancient image editor, PaintShop Pro 8. Until the latter has been running for roughly 150 seconds, no macros can be activated. None. Not just those related to PSP 8. (I now have PSP 8 running permanently,. It’s frequently used anyway and that period is too long to wait without ME access.)

This did not happen on my old XP PC.

A year or so ago I even bought PSP 2018, which removed  this issue. But for several months it proved glacially slow under Win 10 (most users, not just me). And my scores of macros scoped for PSP 8 would need editing to some degree. Throw in decades of familiarity. So my preference remains PSP 8, warts and all.

In case it’s relevant, PSP uses Python scripting.