Macro Express Forums

Repeat counter?

TsunamiZ

Incrementing a counter each time through a loop is easy; just store the counter to a variable. Displaying the count is trickier because a text box cannot be "refreshed". You can, however, Use the Text Box Close command just prior to popping up a new text box. To avoid screen flicker, use the close command after popping up a new text box with a new variable. This works because Macro Express will close the first text box opened with identical, or empty, captions and not the last one.

• 2 months later...
Is there a way to make a repeat counter to count the interations of repeats during a macro running? Perhaps via a popup message box?

I know I'm two months late with my post, so you've probably worked out a solution. But here's my version of how to do what it is I believe you're trying to do:

<IVAR2:01:01:0><REP3:08:000002:000001:0001:1:01:T1><REM2:Enter Your Code Here><NMVAR:01:01:1:0000001:2:0000001><ENDREP><TBOX4:T:1:CenterCenter000278000200:000:%N1% = number of times the macro repeatedThis repeated %N1% times.>

I find that if it's a long process that the constant closing and opening (trick: do the close before the open) will slow things down and or steal focus from other things you're trying to do. I usually calculate a percentage done, in fact I have a subroutine to do it, and update the box every 1% or sometimes 5%. In the beginning I would tell the user X/Y records where X was the current and Y was the total but when processing 3600 iterations this will slow the macro down a lot. Also I have a trick I use once in a while where the close/open part of the repeat is conditional depending on whether the box is on top. This way it won't attempt to do the close/open if I'm working on something else. If I then want to see how it's coming I highlight the box again and the next update will give me the current progress.