Macro Express Forums

No mouse movement

Has anyone come across a macro in which a simple Mouse Move command does not get actioned please?

My macro opens an Options dialogue. The mouse automatically under Windows XP control goes to the default location (that's how I have it set up), which is the OK button. After opening the dialog my macro has a Mouse Move command, ready to click another setting (that can't be reached by keystrokes). But it just never works. If I put a Macro Return directly after it, the mouse cursor is still sitting on OK.

Ring any bells please?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I think I have seen something similar when scripting for web applications that use JavaScript. I am not sure what the problem is, but it appears that once JavaScript is running, it needs to complete whatever it is doing.

I know of no way to test whether JavaScript is running. I have always resorted to inserting delays.

Does this help?

Macro Express uses the Windows hooks to perform mouse movements and mouse clicks. The hooks are in a 'chain' meaning one program passes the mouse events on to the next. Any program that inserts itself into the hook chain has the ability to prevent any other program from seeing any of the mouse events. The same thing applies to keystrokes.

Some programs intentionally block mouse or keyboard messages. One reason may be to provide security and to block malware programs that watch for mouse events and keystrokes (keyloggers). Other programs try to prevent automation (such as games). And still other programs have errors in how they interact with the hook chain.

2¢: I would try to use Mouse Click on Control instead of moving the mouse to the OK button.

Thanks, but (like the bulk of the applications I've ever tried) Controls don't work in this case.

BTW, note that it's not the OK button I was trying to reach; that was the default position (Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options > Automatically move pointer to the default button in a

dialog box).

Have now solved the problem the easy way: decided I don't really need that macro after all!

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK