Macro Express Forums

Forrest frustrations in W7

Forrest (Running man system tray icon) does not appear to work or play well with W7's new system tray. Is there something I'm missing? Has anyone else experienced this?

I presume you're saying Forrest often isn't visible? I don't think this will be Insight's fault: the new taskbar notification area in W7 is a dog's breakfast! No matter how often I drag an icon from the invisible area (which you get to by clicking on those arrows at the left of the notification area, or by pressing Win-B and Enter) back to the visible portion, it'll become invisible again when W7 decides to make it so. This applies to most of the 19 icons that I have in my notification area - UltraEdit, FIrefox, Roboform, Clipmate, etc.

Perhaps it'll improve over time, but I'm not holding high hopes - WinXp also had problems in this area, but on a lesser scale.

Dog's breakfast? Mmmmm OK. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Several times I've set Forrest to show all the time but it doesn't seem to stick and I figure why. If now one can show me the errors of my ways I'll do a bugrep.

Dog's breakfast? Mmmmm OK. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Several times I've set Forrest to show all the time but it doesn't seem to stick and I figure why. If now one can show me the errors of my ways I'll do a bugrep.

A dog's breakfast is a mess or a muddle.

As I tried to explain in my previous posting, I'm quite confident that your missing Forrest has nothing to do with MEP, and that it'll be a waste of time investigating this issue.

FYI, here's a URL on how to reset the notification area icons and clear out all past history.

Clear Icons

This is not the problem I'm talking about here.

In XP the running man icon only appears when a macro is running. However I have noticed with Terminal Services if one disconnects, runs a macro, then reconnects the icon gets stuck and never goes away. What I am talking about has to do with the new system tray in W7. Unless you have played with it you wouldn't understand.

I found a new (to me) problem with Forrest which I have reported to Insight.

I have Macro1 which calls Macro2, then continues with other things.

Macro2 logs out of Roboform and invokes a specific passcard (e.g. I want to login to Internet Banking).

When Macro2 invokes the passcard, Roboform independently pops up a window demanding the master password (triggered by having Macro2 log out of Roboform). Macro3 starts when it sees the Roboform Login screen and fills in the password.

So the sequence is:

- Macro1

- code...

- Calls Macro2

- - Macro2 runs to completion, and causes Roboform to display a window that triggers Macro3

- more Macro1 code....

If Macro1 ends as soon as it has called Macro2, Forrest goes away. But if Macro1 continues with more Macro1 code after Macro2 has ended, Forrest remains until manually sent packing, displaying the name Macro3 as its running (or most recently run?) macro.

This is true in both WinXp and Win7.

You should report this.

I just reported the problem with Forrest getting stuck in disconnected/reconnected Terminal Service sessions so if the wizards are going to look at it at some point they might as well fix as many things as possible.

Ooops!

Cory asked Paul to report the problem but Paul had already said he had reported it. ;)
Sorry abou tthat Paul./. I didn't read your post carefully.

Long ago and in another thread (A Call To Curtail A Few Annoyances) were these 2 conversation snippets:

I wrote

Please read through what you've written before posting - preferably more than once. This forum is full of messages with sentences that are very hard to read because of misspellings, or missing verbs, or missing nouns, etc. You're more likely to get help if your message is easy to read and understand.

and Cory responded

But I very much agree about rereading as it’s obvious that some do not

And, finally, in this thread, Cory wrote

Sorry abou tthat Paul./. I didn't read your post carefully.

!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well I didn't say I was perfect!

And I said I was sorry.... And that comment was in regards to re-reading one's own post.