Macro Express Forums

how to kill a macro without clicking on green icon?

It depends on your configuration. Preferences > Miscellaneous tab > HotKeys section. Default is ScrollLock+Pause. I don't like this setting however and usually change mine to Break (CTRL+Pause) and Pause for pause. Seems more intuitive.

There are situations when the hotkey will not stop a running macro.

In that case, it's good to have another way to bail out. I use taskkill.exe. I have a desktop shortcut that runs taskkill C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Express Pro\MacExp.exe, I have assigned it to a hotkey (via the shortcut's Properties) so that taskkill can be activated without the need to minimize anything.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Right click the desktop, and choose "New" and then "Shortcut."

2. For the "location," type this:

taskkill /f /im macexp.exe

3. For the "name", type whatever you want, but maybe this would be good:

End Macro Express!

4. If you want to be able to access the shortcut without minimizing any windows, assign a shortcut key: go the Properties for the shortcut, and specify a "shortcut key." F10 is a safe bet, and conflicts with few program-specific hotkeys.

Works. 1001 Thanks!! :D I hope this will be more reliable as Scroll-Lock + Pause!!

BTW, i like to see Forrest indicating Macros running. But i have to adjust all the time that it´s beeing displayed (Symbol & Notifications on). Sometimes in the window where you adjust this there are 2 Forrests!! Whatever i adjust there Forrest keeps vanishing!

Thank You

Alexandra

I'm glad it works, but it really is only for emergency situations, when a macro locks up your system. The downside is that you must restart Macro Express afterwards. But that is preferable, I think, to rebooting the computer.

Some icons in the system tray do Not get updated right away. The "solution" is to hover the mouse pointer over the older of the two Macro Express icons. This extra icon will usually vanish after a few seconds.

Well, instead of invoking TaskKill, simply invoke a batch file whose last command restartes ME!

Of course the very first step after killing the MEX Process is restarting it right away! <_<

So Paul, if you don´t mind publishing the whole commandline thing for the not so gifted it would be awesome!! :) :)

Thank You

Alexandra

Save the following lines into a file whose extension is .bat, e.g. C:\MyBatchFiles\RestartME.bat

@echo off

taskkill /f /im macexp.exe
"xxxxxx\MacExp.exe"

For convenience, you could create a shortcut to this batch file on your desktop, then simply double-click on that shortcut when you need it.

I've simply copied the taskkill line from above, but haven't tested that it works.

The xxxxxx should be replaced by the drive and path of the folder that contains macexp.exe, e.g.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Express Pro\MacExp.exe"

It works fine (kills and restarts), but a DOS-ish window appears saying "Process ending "MacExp.exe" successful".

Is it possible to suppress that window?

Thank You

Alexandra

A quick search threw this up:-

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-bat-files-invisibly-without-displaying-command-prompt/

It works fine (kills and restarts), but a DOS-ish window appears saying "Process ending "MacExp.exe" successful".

Is it possible to suppress that window?

Simply edit the properties of the shortcut I suggested you create, and change the Run entry from Normal window to Minimized window.

I tried that already. In that case the window is in the taskbar.

Then you need to read http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/hide-flashing-command-line-and-batch-file-windows-on-startup and download the utility hstart, then edit your shortcut to read:

xxxxxx\hstart.exe /noconsole yyyyyy

where:

- xxxxxx is the fully qualified path of the HStart executable

- yyyyyy is the fully qualified shortcut you created.

If you're running a 64-bit windows, then use hstart64.exe, otherwise hstart.exe.

• 2 weeks later...